well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Payroll tax deferral

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Payroll tax deferral
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Sounds bizarre.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/2...-hook-for-taxes.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good grief.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Payroll is what funds medicare and social security.

I wonder if Trump and his minions even understand how payroll taxes work, and whether people understand what "deferred" means. You'll be on the hook for that deferred cash at the end of April, 2021. By "you," I mean both the employer AND the employee.

I think it's just a means to add a few bucks to people's paychecks before the election. He'll just gloss over the fact that, in reality, it's a loan. More scary is the idea I hear floating about that, should he be re-elected, he will make the payroll tax cuts permanent. Bye-bye social security and medicare.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I notice he didn't include that in his " campaign promises" in his long convention talk. Remembering he DID say (as did several ardent supporters), he ALWAYS keeps his promises!

OTOH the deep-voiced announcer bragged (?) during a RNC infomational videos that among Trump's achievements first-term was his "strengthening Social Security and Medicare."

All that contradictory hype just to influence voters! Ones who clearly aren't paying attention to the personal risks they're running from this man! A great many of them depend on these payouts. Where ARE their brains?

And don't a candidate's ads count as "campaign promises"? What he swears he ALWAYS keeps! Why else do they always end with their personal endorsement?

I sure wish a press conference would confront him with this discrepancy. (Or doesn't he hold press conferences any more?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I got a note today from Intuit/Quickbooks. They process my payroll.

It says they have no idea what the executive order means and when they figure that out they will get back to me. WTF

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
As employees of small businesses get their first September paychecks, they’re probably receiving their usual amount — company owners are still withholding money for Social Security despite a presidential order allowing the tax to be deferred.

The order President Donald Trump signed Aug. 8 allows employers to stop withholding the 6.2% payroll tax from Sept. 1 through Dec. 31. Employees must make under $4,000 every two weeks to qualify. Trump said the order was aimed at putting more money into Americans’ pockets during the coronavirus outbreak.

Small business owners are wary about the plan. The tax must still be paid between Jan. 1 and April 30 of next year, which means employees could take an unwanted financial hit or companies might ultimately have to pay the government if staffers leave.

Attorney John Strohmeyer is having the payroll for his Houston firm processed as per usual.

“It doesn’t make much sense. I’m not getting a tax break as an employee or employer. The money is still due by April 30 of next year,” Strohmeyer says.

Jay Starkman says the businesses calling his human resources consulting firm for advice about tax deferral ask whether it’s a good benefit for employees. But they’re not inclined to implement the plan.

“If the employee doesn’t pay the money back, you’re on the hook for it. Till that changes, it just doesn’t make sense to give somebody a few more months of money,” says Starkman, CEO of Engage PEO, based in Hollywood, Florida.

Owners also have questions about the payment process that aren’t answered in the guidelines the IRS issued last week.

https://apnews.com/1c12bd77a806850c3646c0e60500ebe7

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My crew want me to keep deducting. Works for me.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My benevolent employer has opted not to partake in this act of stoopiditee.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
As a federal employee, I do not get payroll tax deferral because I make more than the cut-off.

I was just going to roll it into my quarterly estimated taxes, which we have to pay because Mr. Sphinx is self-employed.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post