well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for the Academics

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Academics
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I see where Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse will become the new president at the University of Florida. I don’t know much about him, but he seems like an odd choice.

Why would they choose him?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He does have prior experience in that type of job. He was president of Midland University in Nebraska before he ran for the Senate.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
1. His education

2. His modest career achievements prior to the Senate

And last, but not least, 3. his extremist far right political views

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
He does have prior experience in that type of job. He was president of Midland University in Nebraska before he ran for the Senate.

Ha! I didn’t know that!

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We're talking about Florida? Then this:

quote:
3. his extremist far right political views

?

I actually have no idea how university presidents are selected. Most of us whose experience is primarily on the "front lines" probably don't.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I attended UF for a year. Trust me. 3. probably sealed the deal.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is not a surprising pick. If I were UF I would want a president who would be a good advocate in front of the GOP governor and legislature, to keep them from interfering too much.

Politicians are common choices. Purdue has Mitch Daniels, Condaleeza Rice was provost at Stanford.

Hell, President Eisenhower once ran Columbia, after being POTUS.

By the way, I have a good friend who is on the search committee for Columbia’s new president.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By the way, I have a good friend who is on the search committee for Columbia’s new president.

The current president, Lee Bollinger, is a name you’ll hear a lot in the coming SCOTUS session. Two affirmative action decisions by SCOTUS have his name on them as defendant and they’ll likely be overturned this year. They are both from his time running UM.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I attended UF for a year. Trust me. 3. probably sealed the deal.

OMG Daniel, I don't know what I did when I posted that reply, but I literally meant to write "this" after your comment!!! Because, yeah, Florida and extreme right wing go together like peas and carrots!!

Ugh, posting fail, sorry! suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call Sasse extreme right. He's one of the few GOP senators that voted to convict Trump.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I read his Wikipedia page. If you don't get to, "extreme right" after reading it, then I don't know what it would take. Smiler

SK, no need. Smiler

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't call Sasse extreme right. He's one of the few GOP senators that voted to convict Trump.

Yes

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Yes

Still votes the party line every other time.

Meanwhile, it's not starting off well.