well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cataracts

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataracts
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Welcome to being a senior!!

Woke up over a week ago and noticed my left eye seemed blurry - which continued throughout the day. Looked up all the horrible things it could be while I waited for an eye doc appointment a few days later... Apparently early cataracts can cause a significant change in the prescription needed for glasses! Waiting now for my new glasses to show up - ugh. Noticing more of a halo effect around lights at night.

Hopeful that the developing eye-drop treatment turns out to work; it hasn't hit human trials yet...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7568 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I can relate to those feelings. I had cataracts that developed to the point that I didn't feel safe driving at night, particularly in rainy weather, so I decided that it was time to face the surgery. When I went for the pre-surgical exam, they determined I also had Fuchs dystrophy, a corneal defect. As the result, I not only had cataract surgery to replace the lenses, but corneal transplants in both eyes. The surgeries went very well in both eyes and now I see without glasses other than using very mild reading glasses for some reading when the print is small or the light is poor.

I hadn't heard of an eye-drop treatment, but the conventional surgery worked well for me.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7434 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Quit driving at night due to cataracts. An eye doc told me they were not bad enough for Medicare to pay for the surgery.
My eyes are dry. For a few years I used Alcon drops there or four times a night.
Recently realized my cataracts are gone.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25748 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just had cataract surgery on my right eye two weeks ago. Vision is much better in that eye. Left will need it but not bad enough yet to be covered.

Surgery is a piece of cake. Ten minutes. No pain, no problems afterward. In and out in two hours.

Can now use computer without glasses, but need new prescription in right eye.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post