well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Special for Mik

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special for Mik
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I'm listening to an Audible book called The Pioneers by David McCullough. I've read several of his books and I always enjoy them.

This one is about settling the area along the Ohio River south of Pittsburgh, starting in about 1780. I recognize a lot of the family names as town and street names I've seen. He's a good writer - the history is told largely as a series of anecdotes.

You may know this history already from grade school - like I had to learn about Missions. Even if you do I think you would enjoy the book.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I suspect I would. I read the Allan Eckert series on the settling of the area, The Frontiersman and Wilderness Empire. Fascinating.

I will take a look at it, thanks!

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post