well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hatch Chilis are Here!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatch Chilis are Here!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I guess with two of you recommending Hatch chilis I should go for it. At Costco prices, I'd probably get the equivalent of three or four grocery store-size jars...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38017 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
That cheese looks awesome.

I decided to wait until another year to try Hatch chiles. Quirt pointed out that my banana pepper plants, both sweet and hot, are producing more than I can eat.

We're thinking of getting a smoker, so smoking peppers could be an interesting option. Hmmm...
Oh yeah.... and smoked foods with peppers. What kind of cooker are you thinking about? That's a very neighborly thing to do there.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Did you buy a jar? Yummy

I didn't. It's a really big jar and the label says it should be used within 3 weeks of being opened. I wasn't sure I could come anywhere close to eating all of it.

Are you telling me I should reconsider? Ole

I wonder if you could freeze some of it. I don't see why not.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35006 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You can definitely freeze the entire roasted chile pods. I can't think of a reason why you couldn't freeze the stuff in the jar. You might consider putting smaller amounts than the full jar in zip lock bags so you just unthaw what you need for a meal.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I saw those at Costco and considered it but declined. I buy my peppers from Bueno Foods out of New Mexico. Great stuff. Only frozen tamales I have ever loved - 3. minutes in the 'wave and you have a good meal. They offer roasted, frozen chiles and they are great for chili and stews.

https://buenofoods.com/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Costco chilis had a lot of salt, if I recall. It was one of the reasons I decided to pass.

I think I've seen the Bueno label around here. I'll make it a point to look for their products at one of our many international grocery markets.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38017 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There's lots of places around you. Look 'em up on their website.

I'm telling you their frozen tamales are da bomb. I even have them for breakfast sometimes - nuke up some soft poached eggs to put atop a couple tamales and voila! Breakfast.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I'm telling you their frozen tamales are da bomb.

I like them, but it's my better half who is a major tamale aficionado.

He is very happy to hear this news.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bueno tortillas are the best. I didn't realize they sold them outside of New Mexico. Yummmm

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Find Bueno near you.

https://buenofoods.com/

Closest locations that sell their products are in Wisconsin, like 200 miles away.
Frowner

Portlanders and Seattlites are much more fortunate...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, Hatch is in southern New Mexico, in the valley of the Rio Grande in Doña Ana county. Mom lives a few miles south of there in Las Cruces. Hatch itself is a cute little farming town.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I learned something-- I didn't even look, just assumed that Bueno was NM-only, just like in the olden days. There are several places here, including one of my regular stores.

I've not tried their frozen tamales--not even sure they made them when I was introduced to their tortillas. I will definitely see if my store carries them. And I'm making enchiladas, just to use the tortillas!

Such an educational evening.