well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hummingbird feeder

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hummingbird feeder
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I got a new hummingbird feeder and hung it up on the patio cover. 2 days, no hummingbirds. I’ve seen them around before so I know they’re out there.

Do you any special tricks to attract them?

Or is there a right time of year?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just give it time. You will not get the number of birds as in SoCal but you will get regulars.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are websites that track their migration.

https://www.hummingbird-guide....g-migration-map-2021

I saw one a couple of days ago in my yard. It briefly fed at a hanging basket of fuchsia and then moved on.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have regulars who return year after year. We delayed putting up our feeder this year. A few days ago, a bird flew up to the window where the feeder used to hang, glared at my wife, and flew off. Yeah, a bit anthropomorphic I know, but the bird seemed to be saying, "where the f*** is it. Get it back out here ... NOW!"

We had the feeder back up the next day.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How do they find the feeder? Smell?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It took a few weeks for them to find our feeder the first time...

We haven't tried here in the city, but just saw reports of others at a similar height not far from here, so we might give it a try again!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Make sure your food is fresh and done right -- 25% sugar, 75% water. It also can ferment in the feeder, so change it out every 2-3 days, more if it's hot.

They are attracted to bright colors, and generally the red on the feeder is enough. However we have had major success on our backyard feeders with also supplying some potted plants with hummingbird-attracting flowers (fuschia, salvia, bee balm, etc.). They like it best if there's a place nearby where they can hang out with a bit of cover (like in a leafy tree or a bush).

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post