well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Could be worse. We could live in Turkey

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could be worse. We could live in Turkey
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
80 percent inflation? Eeker

quote:
Turkey shocks markets with rate cut despite inflation near 80%

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/1...near-80percent-.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Most of my family (albeit by marriage, still closer than most blood relations) DO live in Turkey. Yeah, they're having it tough, even though Turkey has some policies that make things economically easier than here - especially for retirees.

(Lebanon has been in inflation hell for many years too, much preceding the relatively recent world economic mess having most to do with COVID. There, as in many countries, their citizens have been plagued by horrific inflation brought on by their leadership's long-standing corruption.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
For still more perspective, consider that when I last lived in Israel at one point (around when the US had nearly 20% inflation) we had SEVEN HUNDRED % inflation!

When my husband got his salary slip every month we just had to accept on faith that the figure we were receiving (along with kind of complicated calculations), was fair. Wild variations every month. Since we were also receiving income translated from dollars, it made things somewhat easier for us, though.

And when apartment hunting, the landlords' rent computations were in fantasy land, quite variable. (E.g., one offer might have read "first month rent indexed to the dollar, last rent payable indexed to the yen"... intermediate rents in shekels rising per some variable increase. Harder than any SAT problems I recall especially when trying to compare!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...c_Stabilization_Plan

quote:
The years after the 1973 Yom Kippur War were a lost decade economically, as growth stalled, inflation soared and government expenditures rose significantly. Then, in 1983, Israel suffered what was known as the "bank stock crisis". By 1984 inflation was reaching an annual rate close to 450% and projected to reach over 1000% by the end of the following year.

Shimon Peres' stablization plan (which worked so well) has since been used as a model by many other countries facing hyper-inflation.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post