well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chemtool plant explosion just south of us.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chemtool plant explosion just south of us.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's great, markj. I saw that they were putting foam on the fire today and it looked like it might be out fairly soon.

From what I heard on the weather report, winds will continue to be from the N/NE on Wednesday but turn southerly on Thursday when it gets hot again. Hopefully it'll be out before that happens.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, glad you’re positioned ok Mark!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I hope to see it extinguished before morning.

I have been motivated by this event in an unexpected manner.

I am planning on attending any Q&A the county may have because I want to address the city and county council meetings as well as the county commissioners and the governor as to the readiness of our first responders to handle like instances of this for the myriad of companies in our area that produce potentially toxic materials. Like the Dupont plant about 2-3 miles from my house that also sits next to Turtle Creek that passes behind my house and empties in the Rock river, and subsequently, the Mississippi.

I am currently researching our emergency management plan of our county and state. So far after skimming through the 335 page county hazard mitigation plan, I see no mention of tracking what compounds are stored or manufactured in large enough quantities to cause such a disaster. That needs to be addressed.

I think the initial response to this incident was not as optimum as it should have been.

It happened in a different state then where I live, but I think that should not matter given the proximity of this event and potential of other such events in this area.

After I finish my research, and I am pretty sure of what I am going to find, I am going to write the governors of IL and WI. Hell I might even write a letter to the President.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Rockton Fire Protection District has ruled the Chemtool fire accidental, as well as releasing details Friday evening about how the fire started.

According to Rockton Fire Chief Kirk Wilson, a project was underway at the facility to replace insulation on an elevated heat transfer piping network that was part of the site's system for heating certain vessels in manufacturing lubricating greases. The network of piping carried heated mineral oil, according to Wilson.

"That morning, an employee of an outside contractor performing the insulation replacement project was working in the area of origin," Wilson said in a news release. "They were utilizing a scissor lift to access the elevated heat transfer piping network."

Wilson said shortly before 7 a.m. while an outside contractor was working in the area, a released occurred from the elevated piping. Mineral oil fell out and pooled in the area. Chemtool operators shut down the boiler and in the process of placing containment booms and de-pressuring the heat transfer piping network, the fire ignited.

"At the present time, the most credible scenario is that the scissor lift struck a valve or other piece of piping with sufficient mechanical force to cause the release of mineral oil," Wilson said. "The investigation has not yet determined the source of ignition."

13 Investigates learned that the area where the fire started did not have any fire suppression system.

https://wrex.com/2021/06/25/ca...d-deemed-accidental/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post