well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Warren came in 4th for the night
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warren came in 4th for the night
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Loser.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Liz drops out

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow. I did not see that coming.

Good on her.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
She didn't endorse anyone yet.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And it's not clear that she will/should.

For Bloomberg, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg the choice was clear. For her, endorsing Bernie will get her in hot water with many of her party peers, and possibly diminish her effectiveness as a Senator. Endorsing Biden risks angering many of her most ideological lefty supporters.

And like the rest of us, she may not really know the full pattern of "second choices" among her voters. Why alienate people.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
A guy that sniffs kids...????

WHAT?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I am from her state and didn't vote for her, because it was more important to keep Bernie OUT.

I think she will find an important place nationally. She has a voice.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Warren’s core supporters were college-educated white people.

Her core detractors were Wall Streeters, who are largely a subset of the former.

I think that really says enough.

I voted for her in Oklahoma. I’ll hold my nose and vote for Bernie in the general, if I must, but in the primary I voted with my conscience.

Don’t know what I’d have done if Pete hadn’t dropped out.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, and I might not be, she was quite late in endorsing Hillary in 16. I suspect she thought endorsing Hillary was bad for her brand but endorsing Bernie was bad for her career, so she waited until the stakes were lower.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
People who keep saying she should make a deal with Biden or Bernie don’t get how understandably hesitant she must be to sign a treaty with anyone.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I have a theory about her, and about the women who have run for president so far.

To get ahead, women of her generation (and mine, for that matter) have to be extra competent. They have to be better than the men, and they know it. They have to be Hermione Granger, all the time.

Trouble is, running for president is not the time to be Hermione. Voters don't want a capable administrator or first-rate manager. They want someone with a vision, someone who can inspire. Obama won in 2008 without a single plan that I can remember. What I remember was "hope," "change," and "yes we can."

In this race, Buttigieg seemed to get this. Warren released a big 'ol gnarly health care plan. Buttigiege said, "Medicare for all who want it." Which formulation is more memorable? It's not whatever Warren was selling.

The bottom line for me is that Warren made a serious of fatal errors, and I knew they were errors when she made them. Announcing she would get rid of private health insurance was a self-inflicted wound, and I don't understand why she felt the need to go there. There was the whole Native American heritage thing, then the DNA test, then the beer drinking into the camera. And the whole idea of building a campaign on "I have a plan for that" is nuts. I don't want Elizabeth Warren to plan my life, and I suspect I'm not the only one. It smacks of "Big government will make all of the right decisions for you."

And I will come right out and say she did not dress the part. What is with the black top, black pants, and bright-colored cardigans? She looked like she was always on the way to a PTA meeting. I wouldn't dare show up in court dressed like that. Come on. Put on a dark suit like Kamala Harris and look more presidential. Is that sexist? I didn't see any of the men show up in jewel tones.

I wish her well. She is a real talent. I hope she finds a place where she can do some real good.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I feel like this whole campaign is bizarre. Everyone was waiting for the random sound bite that would propel them to the next level, and the source of the sound bite was what occurred on the debate stage, not from their campaign.

No campaign has brand messaging. The closest is Sanders, but his is really a leftover vibe from the 2016 campaign. Obama had hope and change, si se puede, etc., and he never veered from that message. Quick, what is the brand message for any of these candidates? "I'm not Trump," doesn't count. Unbelievable.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Warren is who she is. I appreciated her authenticity. She is very smart, very articulate, and a good thinker and planner. She believes in helping people. She believes that government should work to help people, to make their lives better. That was what she was trying to sell.

If that isn't what the American public wants to vote for, shame on them.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
What Cindy said.

And also what Quirt said.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post