well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Genetic Modification Going Bananas

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6403923897

12 May 2023, 09:05 AM
Axtremus
Genetic Modification Going Bananas
https://www.theguardian.com/au...it-sent-for-approval

quote:
Scientists have submitted Australia’s first genetically modified fruit – a Cavendish banana – to regulators for approval, saying it has been engineered to withstand a deadly fungus that poses a threat to banana growers worldwide.

The banana, known as QCAV-4, has been genetically modified to resist a fungus known as Panama disease tropical race 4 (TR4), which is threatening the multibillion-dollar Cavendish industry globally.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

12 May 2023, 12:26 PM
Qaanaaq-Liaaq
I wonder if a genetically modified Cavendish banana will taste exactly like a non-genetically modified Cavendish banana? The genetic alteration might affect the taste.

The article doesn’t say anything about plantains. A plantain is similar to a banana but it’s a starchy cooking banana. In many third world countries, plantains are an important crop for starch and carbohydrates. The fungus affects plantains as well as bananas.
12 May 2023, 01:04 PM
Piano*Dad
Forget the bland Cavendish. I want 'em to bring back the pre-Cavendish Gros Michel banana. It had a much stronger flavor. Apparently the banana extract we still use is based on the flavor of the Gros Michel variety that the Panama disease largely killed off.
12 May 2023, 01:13 PM
RealPlayer
In my area we see a variety of different bananas favored by different ethnic groups. But I am not a big banana eater so haven’t tried them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

13 May 2023, 12:34 PM
big al
When my wife and I lived in Brazil, there was a broad selection of bananas available. My favorite was a small banana with an orange-colored peel. I wonder if their bananas have also been affected.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ