well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Genetic Modification Going Bananas

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Genetic Modification Going Bananas
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.theguardian.com/au...it-sent-for-approval

quote:
Scientists have submitted Australia’s first genetically modified fruit – a Cavendish banana – to regulators for approval, saying it has been engineered to withstand a deadly fungus that poses a threat to banana growers worldwide.

The banana, known as QCAV-4, has been genetically modified to resist a fungus known as Panama disease tropical race 4 (TR4), which is threatening the multibillion-dollar Cavendish industry globally.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a genetically modified Cavendish banana will taste exactly like a non-genetically modified Cavendish banana? The genetic alteration might affect the taste.

The article doesn’t say anything about plantains. A plantain is similar to a banana but it’s a starchy cooking banana. In many third world countries, plantains are an important crop for starch and carbohydrates. The fungus affects plantains as well as bananas.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Forget the bland Cavendish. I want 'em to bring back the pre-Cavendish Gros Michel banana. It had a much stronger flavor. Apparently the banana extract we still use is based on the flavor of the Gros Michel variety that the Panama disease largely killed off.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
In my area we see a variety of different bananas favored by different ethnic groups. But I am not a big banana eater so haven’t tried them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I lived in Brazil, there was a broad selection of bananas available. My favorite was a small banana with an orange-colored peel. I wonder if their bananas have also been affected.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post