well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Russian Explosion WAS Nuclear

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Explosion WAS Nuclear
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Testing Nuclear powered cruise missile design

Apparently the US backed away from this idea years ago.

BTW, what's the appropriate response to a strike by a nuclear powered cruise missile with a non-nuclear warhead that nonetheless creates a radiation disaster in its wake? How to deter this credibly. We can threaten all we want, but the other side has to believe that using one of these things actually would lead to a completely crazy-destructive response.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
How to deter this credibly.
Ummmm... some sort of arms treaty?

Nah. Those are so 20th century.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Arms control treaties usually require mutual deterrence before both sides are willing to talk.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Arms control treaties also require a President who doesn't decide that they're unnecessary because he's besties with the guy in charge.

Posts: 45740 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As well as good faith. The current administration has shown its willingness to withdraw from any treaty or any agreement, seemingly on a whim or for personal reasons.

Why would anyone negotiate anything with the USA right now? You couldn't trust anything.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yup. I-1 has spent his entire life proving that agreements are made to be broken. His word is worthless. Even a written, signed contract is worthless. So, who would believe he intends to honor any treaty he signs.

So... we're back to MAD.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post