well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Looking for a house with lots of space inside?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a house with lots of space inside?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
This place in Dallas might just be for you:

13229 Southview Lane

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
WTF. What was it before?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The property description says it could be the ultimate safe house, but it only has one bathroom…
suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Roller Rink?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of recent articles about why all the vacant office space can't be turned into living space.

Unfortunately, I can't find the one I most wanted. (was written by an architect), but it has a lot to do with 1) what they called the "donut problem" (Only the edges are habitable) and 2) the investment angle. Why landlords don't want to make the very expensive conversions - even if attempted - how and why they'd lose a ton of money.

Certainly this building is much the equivalent of a giant office building. (Surely, though, in any case, bathrooms need to be added - especially in this era of bathroomophilia. The tendency to build more bathrooms in houses than bedrooms.)

Ah, here's the article.

The Goldilocks factor

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am thinking drug clinic...or weird church. Shrug

My current office is huge..was vacant for 10 years in the basement of an old mill building. It was a methadone clinic before we got it.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Internet wags say it was an ATT switching office and there is another just like it on the lot behind. They used to put them in residential areas to get them closer to their customers.

Remodeling it won’t be cheap - all of the walls and floors are concrete. OTOH the size of the electric service will not be an issue.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post