well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    John Nash’s recommendation letter for grad school.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Nash’s recommendation letter for grad school.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I mean, that pretty much says it all doesn’t it?

I never did see A Beautiful Mind.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18548 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Nash Equilibrium

The wikipedia page actually does a very good job of laying out his contribution to game theory. The simple "Alice and Bob" example gives the flavor in the most basic way. Nash's contribution was much more complicated. He proved the existence of such an equilibrium for every finite game.

The proofs using fixed point theorems are further down the page. Big Grin

These were relatively new and fresh ideas when I started graduate school in 1978. The work was only 27 year old. For comparison, the work that won Paul Krugman the Nobel Prize ... on trade with economies of scale (1979) and on economic geography (1991) is more in the rear view mirror today than Nash's work was when I was learning the stuff.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What, no extracurriculars?

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What, no extracurriculars?

Big Grin

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post