well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hanky Panky and the Buster Bar.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanky Panky and the Buster Bar.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A hanky panky is a small meat patty made with hamburger, sausage and cheese. It’s served on a square of dark cocktail bread. Apparently they are a thing in Ohio.

Buster Bar is an ice cream cake with Spanish peanuts on it. It’s apparently named after an ice cream bar they sell at Dairy Queen. It tastes like a tin roof sundae and deserves much wider distribution, IMHO.

I’ve been trying to think of foods like this that are local to CA and I’m coming up blank. In and Out burgers maybe. Or El Pollo Loco, but nothing comes to mind as far as what you might bring to a New Years party.

What are your regional faves?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Here's a few that come to mind for Pittsburgh:
  • Isaly's chipped chopped ham - formed ham loaf sliced very thin
  • Primanti's sandwich - a sandwich with French fries in the sandwich, originated in the Strip (produce) district as a meal in a sandwich that could be eaten by the workmen. Now a primarily local restaurant chain
  • Wedding soup - a common soup at Italian restaurants with pastini, greens, and tiny meatballs in the broth

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cincinnati chili of course, but I regret one cannot find a good burrito outside of SoCal.

Texas bbq, North carolina pulled pork. oregon pinot noir. I cracked a 2013 Resonance open last week and it was glorious. It’s Louis Jadot’s property in Oregon and this was their first release. Dead ringer for a cru Volnay. I would have bet $100 it was Burgundy, not Willamette Valley.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Gee..., I donno...maybe lobster? Clams?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
By the way, I have never heard of a hanky panky. Sounds like a slider.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ve been trying to think of foods like this that are local to CA and I’m coming up blank.
In San Francisco they served a fish dish called Cioppino, and I've never seen that anywhere else.

Here in NY, of course, they're famous for bagels and black-and-white cookies, but neither are exactly elevated cuisine. NY bagels are not as good as they used to be. Many dishes of Jewish origin are considered "New York" like pastrami sandwiches and half-sour pickles. Oysters used to be a huge staple in NYC because they came from local harbors. Pollution killed them off, but they've been reintroduced -- not as food but to filter the water naturally.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chicago is known for its hot dogs and deep dish pizza, neither of which I'm incredibly fond of.

More to my taste...in the Green Bay area, it's Belgian trippe sausage. Basically bratwurst with cabbage. Also fried lake perch, and smoked whitefish, both fish coming from the Great Lakes. Fresh cheddar cheese curds.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Recipe for hanky panky. Feel free to share yours Evil

https://www.food.com/recipe/hanky-panky-18638

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Italian beef sandwich - just thin-sliced roast beef that's prepared and heated in a bath of beef jus with garlic and herbs, served sloppily piled on a Vienna roll (which is like a tranche of a large baguette with a horizontal cut like a hot dog bun) with giardiniera or sport peppers. Ask for it dipped, and the whole sandwich is drowned in the jus. Ask for a combo and your beef sandwich will have a grilled Italian sausage nestled within.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about those.

Yummy

Bazootiehead-in-training

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Or, for a slight variation, Ricobene's makes an incredible breaded steak sandwich, which is a slab of ultra-thin pounded skirt steak that is breaded and deep fried, then folded into (you guessed it) a Vienna roll and liberally slathered with a thick marinara. They'll garnish it any way youse ask (this being Bridgeport), with giardiniera being the most popular.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ve been trying to think of foods like this that are local to CA and I’m coming up blank.
In San Francisco they served a fish dish called Cioppino, and I've never seen that anywhere else.

Here in NY, of course, they're famous for bagels and black-and-white cookies, but neither are exactly elevated cuisine. NY bagels are not as good as they used to be. Many dishes of Jewish origin are considered "New York" like pastrami sandwiches and half-sour pickles. Oysters used to be a huge staple in NYC because they came from local harbors. Pollution killed them off, but they've been reintroduced -- not as food but to filter the water naturally.
My seafood guy makes great Cioppino and gumbo both. Wonderful.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Chicago is known for its hot dogs and deep dish pizza, neither of which I'm incredibly fond of.

More to my taste...in the Green Bay area, it's Belgian trippe sausage. Basically bratwurst with cabbage. Also fried lake perch, and smoked whitefish, both fish coming from the Great Lakes. Fresh cheddar cheese curds.

No Chicago dogs? Wow. I love them. Italian beef too. Luckily, Portillo's is expanding. Hope to have one here soon.

Like you, I am not so fond of Chicago pizza. Sits like a big rock in the gut. Detroit style is better.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
DQ's tin roof was/is a guilty pleasure from my childhood. Leaving

Regional foods? In Arizona, I'm guessing it's a chimichanga or perhaps Navajo Fry Bread (a staple at most Indian fairs, but not often in restaurants). For Oregon, at least in my mind, it's salmon, ideally grilled/smoked on a cedar plank. BUT I think that the region for that is larger, because Washington would most likely stake a claim to that as well. Also, though not a food, Oregon can legitimately lay claim to a gajillion types of craft beers.

Now I'm hungry....

Navajo Fry Bread (sometimes called an Indian taco)--super ridiculously unhealthy and absolutely fantastic!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I always thought the Vienna beef sand was made with Vienna Beef.

The Vienna part is actually the roll? Who knew? Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post