well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How much to pay my piano tuner — re gas prices

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much to pay my piano tuner — re gas prices
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
My piano tuner is coming on Monday (yay!)

He has a bit of a drive to get here, I’m not sure exactly where he lives but price of gas is a concern.

Let’s say he has an hour drive to get here. Would adding $10 to the amount I pay be reasonable? Insufficient? $20?

Regarding tipping, I have never tipped for tuning, on the assumption that the tuners are their own bosses and set their own wages etc. So I’m planning to let him know I added some for the gas.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think they incorporate their expenses into their pricing.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
$20

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
30mpg 60 miles one way is 2 gallons at $5 per gallon.

$20 sounds about right.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I think they incorporate their expenses into their pricing.

RP, the last time he tuned for me (last Nov I think) he let me know that he sets his prices annually and would be raising his price by $10 in 2022. When this appointment was set, he didn’t say anything about a change in the fee, so if I suspect he’s still using that price, in which case, the extra $$ will probably be needed.

I’ll go with $20, unless he did change his price accordingly.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This has been going around the tech forums a bit... Most have decided not to add any surge pricing due to gas, while others have an additional charge based on mileage already built in to their pricing.

Some raise rates every year, others wait a few years and then do a bigger bump.

I don't expect tips or extra due to gas or parking costs, but always appreciate something!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

There are so few good tuners around here, I definitely want him to know he’s appreciated!!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My tuner comes by bicycle!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

How cool is that!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

in NYC there was a lounge pianist who got around by bicycle, carrying his own piano bench with him. Heard about him from Carl Demler.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I know a tech who comes by tricycle. So there! Neener

Seriously. I don't remember if I mentioned this guy here before. He is also quite a character. An ardent lefty, he used to organize sending pianos to Cuba (“Send a Piana to Havana”) and then sent technicians there (“The Tuners’ Brigade”) to service them. There’s a documentary somewhere on the internet about it.

In New York he called his business the Underwater Piano Shoppe. He always had a piano to loan to a pianist who needed one.

He now lives in Scotland (I think). His name is Ben Treuhaft. He is the son of author Jessica Mitford.

He tuned my piano on both the East and west coasts, as we happened to move around.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Jessica Mitford was a revered journalist. Her "Poison Penmanship" was required reading in grad school.

Her son sounds like a very interesting character.

I vaguely remember there was a guy who had some kind of piano workshop in a basement somewhere in lower Manhattan. I wonder if it was the same guy?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I vaguely remember there was a guy who had some kind of piano workshop in a basement somewhere in lower Manhattan. I wonder if it was the same guy?

He could well be. The shop was on the lower east side. I know he also did outside work, for example, servicing pianos at the NYU music department.