well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Intermittent fasting

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intermittent fasting
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Research Highlights:

A study of over 20,000 adults found that those who followed an 8-hour time-restricted eating schedule, a type of intermittent fasting, had a 91% higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease.

People with heart disease or cancer also had an increased risk of cardiovascular death.

Compared with a standard schedule of eating across 12-16 hours per day, limiting food intake to less than 8 hours per day was not associated with living longer.

https://newsroom.heart.org/new...cardiovascular-death

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7550 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, this could impact a lot of people. I know a fair amount of people who do IF, and I thought about doing it myself at one point (but before I even tried it, I quickly decided it wasn’t for me!

Wait, didn’t someone here write about doing IF?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18388 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was doing that for a while last year but switched to trying carb cycling for something different. Not really strict, but I just try to alter 'normal' days with some low carb days.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7550 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some thoughts about the study:

https://www.statnews.com/2024/...ng-study-heart-risk/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I’ve been eating on the schedule that would fit IF for about seven years now. Originally, I just decided to not eat anything after dinner anymore because that’s when I ate all the crappiest empty calories during the day. And then I tend not to be hungry first thing in the morning.

This study does not alarm me particularly. observational studies of nutritional matters are always iffy at best at this one seems particularly badly done, or at least badly interpreted. if worse comes to worse, I can always go back to eating a half gallon of ice cream before I go to bed at night….

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Wait, didn’t someone here write about doing IF?

I did it for a few months, but more strict than the eating window thing they’re talking about. I started on one meal a day (1/24) and when that stopped working went to 1/36 then 1/48. When that stopped working I gave up on it.

From following the FB group I learned that it works well for folks who have a great deal of weight to lose - 200# or more. I would not be surprised to learn that those folks had more heart issues to begin with and it skewed the study.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I’ve been eating on the schedule that would fit IF for about seven years now. Originally, I just decided to not eat anything after dinner anymore because that’s when I ate all the crappiest empty calories during the day. And then I tend not to be hungry first thing in the morning.

This study does not alarm me particularly. observational studies of nutritional matters are always iffy at best at this one seems particularly badly done, or at least badly interpreted. if worse comes to worse, I can always go back to eating a half gallon of ice cream before I go to bed at night….

Same here on not eating after dinner. I can't live without breakfast, however. I'd say I've been eating in a 10 or 11 hour time window and it seems to agree with me.

JoAnn E Manson of Harvard is well regarded and she was one of the study authors, as is Linda Van Horn of Northwestern, but I, too was bothered by some aspects of what was being reported. That prompted me to look for the "day after" analysis like the one I found at Stat.

Eat food, in moderation. Including ice cream. Wink

Bazootiehead-in-training