well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Super-aged whiskies

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super-aged whiskies
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Speculative Economics of Super-Aged Whiskies

How do you put a price on a 72-year-old Scotch?

There’s something special about sipping a whisky that’s older than you are. There’s no guarantee that it will be objectively better than younger whiskies on the shelf, but trying a whisky that was resting in a barrel since before you were born feels celebratory and indulgent. This is an attainable treat in your twenties, when such a dram is a spendy but not outlandish splurge. The price accelerates as you get older. By your thirties and forties, you might be looking at a week or more of rent for the experience of drinking one of these super-aged whiskies.

Therefore, I was very excited when, on the eve of my fortieth birthday, I received an unexpected sample of whisky that was not only older than me but older than my dad: a 72-year-old Scotch bottled by Gordon & MacPhail. Distilled in 1949 at the Milton Distillery, now known as Strathisla, the whisky spent seven full decades in a first-fill sherry puncheon. Nearly three quarters of a century after filling, the cask yielded just 180 bottles at a strength of 48.6% ABV, each of them retailing for about $65,000. That meant my little glass vial represented about $2,600 worth of Scotch. It would quite possibly be the oldest and most expensive whisky I ever drink in my life. I took care not to drop it.

https://www.insidehook.com/art...kies-gordon-macphail

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid my taste buds are not sophisticated enough to properly appreciate such a spirit. On top of that, I'm mostly a bourbon drinker, only having scotch very occasionally.

My most frequent sipping whiskey is the Elijah Craig small batch, which is bottled at 94 proof and aged 8-12 years. I drink a number of other whiskeys but have stayed away from the super-premium offerings.

For mixed drinks, my go-to has been Evan Williams, now most often in the 100 proof version. I used to sip it as well but a number of years ago it went from an 8-year-old whiskey to an unidentified age, perhaps because the increasing popularity of bourbons prompted them to start pulling barrels out of the rickhouse at a younger age. I still find it palatable and perfectly suitable for a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Me neither but I'd sure be willing to give it a try.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
At an after-concert get-together some years ago, our host brought out a bottle of 25-year-old single malt. I think it was Caol Ila. It was so dense that it required a dose of water to enable you to tease out the various flavors. Of which there were many. It was rather overwhelming. Pretty unforgettable, I must admit.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post