well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any of you own State Farm car insurance (or home owners)?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of you own State Farm car insurance (or home owners)?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I just got a mysterious check for over $100 (temporarily misplaced so I can't read it) reading "Hale vs State Farm."

Just Googled and learned it's actually quite a scandal - the remnants of two class action suits: one against the insurer for authorizing repairs with OEM auto parts contrary to their warranty and the other for bribing a judge to reverse the first judgment. $250 million most recently (which seems like a joke reading how much money was involved in their scam.)

Also, noted my (ultra high) home owners insurance through State Farm was just billed at $150 less than last year. Recalling my agent mumbled something (sounding embarrassed) about the company's being obligated to lower rates owing to another consumer protection suit.

What IS with "our good neighbor" (ha!) anyhow?

I would definitely move to another company anyhow if it weren't for my having one of the last remaining "guaranteed renewable policies" (grandfathered). I used to specialize in fender benders and welcomed that!

After they raised my premium last year I have been fed up with them, though. My car was totalled (nearly me too) after I lost control of my car in the windy Ides of March. (Did not help that the claims rep was super rude too.) Ended up crashing into a tree in the opposite direction after the flattened bin blocked my steering from the left wheel well. My broken ribs still hurt.

I don't buy the rule that if the motorist is hit from something from above, it's "an Act of G-d", while if the obstacle hits you from underneath, the resulting collision is YOUR fault. If it's moving?! It blew so fast, I didn't even see it, nor did the driver who saw the accident. (Cop recreated the accident after the fact).

Anyhow, be forewarned about the decline of State Farm (and look for the check!) Not to mention OEM parts if your car was repaired under a State Farm policy between July 28, 1987, and February 24, 1998.

State Farm loses class action suit - cheating on replacement parts, then bribed the judge

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We use State Farm and I've never had any issues with them. I also never received any rebates. I wonder if it's a regional thing? I also noticed that the link Amanda provided cites an lawsuit from 1998. I'm sure we didn't file any claims then.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
We use State Farm and I've never had any issues with them. I also never received any rebates. I wonder if it's a regional thing? I also noticed that the link Amanda provided cites an lawsuit from 1998. I'm sure we didn't file any claims then.

I never filed a claim, but got a check anyhow.
That old lawsuit took a long time to resolve, especially because of the added "racketeering" charge when SF tried to have the first verdict reversed. At the end of the article, it states checks will begin being paid on Oct 21, 2019! Guess I was the first wave of payouts!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I haven't had State Farm insurance in a long time, but I may have had it in 1998.

Maybe I'll get a check! ThumbsUp

[edit] I checked and I had SF from 2001 - 2003. Did I miss the window?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post