well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon.com and COVID-19

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon.com and COVID-19
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Amazon.com barring products making false claim about COVID-19 and removing “deals” it claims were price-gouging customers:

https://www.reuters.com/articl...on-com-idUSKCN20L2ZH

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
First part yay, second part nay.

Our common intuitions on “price gouging” are ultimately harmful, IMO.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, how exactly is Amazon proposing to tell the difference between "price gouging" and a shortage?

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
From the article:

quote:
A merchant Thursday offered a 10-pack of N95 masks for $128, a Reuters reporter saw when clicking through the buying options on Amazon. That was up from a recent seller average price of $41.24, according to the tracking website camelcamelcamel.com. The item was no longer available in a check later in the day.

I got a box for 89 on Monday.

Keep in mind masks are old hat to me. I usually buy basic surgical masks (3M 1820s) but they were sold out already.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
From the wsj:

Western hospitals are rationing medical masks because the world’s mask-manufacturing hub is China’s Hubei province

Apparently the US has a stock of 12 MM. enough for everyone in Illinois.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Where should we buy some, and what? With my respiratory problems, I am thinking it's a good idea.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Lowes and home depot have them much cheaper. I was about to buy a pack but then started reading how they aren't helpful for protecting a healthy person because they cause you to touch your face even more, and when you touch the mask you are touching the pathogens that were blocked. Advice is to instead wash your hands frequently. However, if you are the sickie, the mask is a necessity.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post