well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh, GREAT! (Sorry, it's about the boosters)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, GREAT! (Sorry, it's about the boosters)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
It seems the protection they afford only lasts about four weeks.

This is per Israeli study (they started with them ahead of the curve).

Really, how often ought we subject our immune (and economic) system to this flimsy suit of armor?

Is it still worth it for the immunocompromised, with the regrettable realization that it will have to be repeated (or some tweak thereof) soon after?

And after.

And after.

It's getting to seem like some kind of routine chemotherapy. And can scientists keep coming up with effective prevention for variants' iterations?

Israel shows 2nd booster doesn't last very long Frowner

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
One doesn't have to think like me, but there is a whole stack experts' data and opinions leading to the conclusion that the "booster," (usually the third shot) can actually weaken the immune system, and moreover that there is no "linear effect," or, in other words, the people who think we can vaccinate our way out of these waves of the pandemic are probably not correct.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Maybe what rontuner was talking about in his other thread will lead us out of this apparent impasse (it would probably help me form an opinion if I knew what a "virion" was!).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
virion
vī′rē-ŏn″, vîr′ē-
noun
A complete viral particle, consisting of RNA or DNA surrounded by a protein shell and constituting the infective form of a virus.

The new vaccines are very specific in the targeting,(spike proteins) while traditional vaccines using dead-virus 'train' the immune system to fight the virus... Might have a better chance at reacting to variants as well?

More approaches in the testing/not yet approved stage.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post