well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Must I stop listening to Clapton?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must I stop listening to Clapton?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Why I hope my kids never read Roald Dahl
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28...lix-perry/index.html

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Clapton’s anti-vax nonsense is nothing compared with his blatant racism. Years ago he announced at a concert that England is a white country and blacks should not ever be allowed in. This, from someone who has appropriated black blues and reggae music. I love much of his music and won’t throw it out but I will not be buying more.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Madonna Ciccone, living legend that she is, has offended my politics a few times in serious ways.

The worst was directing a film valorizing the Dutchess of Windsor. Her interest in this project seems to have been the history of fashion and style. It was a good fit in these terms.

Of course, the problem I have is both Edward and Wallis were Nazis to the core. It's an historical fact.

She was asked about this by an entertainment reporter. She denied it. The softball follow up question was about FBI files. Her last word on the matter was the FBI was known for lying and "nothing" the reporter might show her could change her mind.

The other thing she did that offended me was taking no action to remedy the situation when her brother was living under a bridge in Michigan for years. The family did eventually give him shelter at her father's vineyard. I hope I don't sound cynical but I believe this was done to avoid the damage that would have accrued to her reputation if he had died there.

The situations I described above gall me. My feelings about them won't change.

So, do I have to give up her music, music videos, live performances, films, magazine covers, and collaborations with the best photographers in the world?

I won't.

For the record (sic), I bought cassettes of her first two albums. I've heard and seen everything else I've wanted to hear and see on the internet. I've never wanted to go to her live concerts but I've watched many of them.

I'm glad she herself is not a fascist or my feelings would be different.

Posts: 24738 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I recently tried to reread Allen's "Getting Even" (which had cracked me up when I first read it at college age.)

It didn't strike me as particularly funny anymore and I just stopped trying. Couldn't say how much was a matter of changed taste or how much his real life behavior had made me stop responding
to his writing as humorous.

Kind of an interesting subject. I wonder if Dave Barry were fingered as a MeToo culprit, I'd stop enjoying his humor too.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I daresay I wouldn’t like the politics of any of my favorite artists. This is fine with me as I look to them only for entertainment. They’re very good at that.

Neither do I have my plumber do my taxes.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, I couldn't understand how anyone could not find Woody Allen funny. I thought his movies were the pinnacle of culture and humor. Now, I pretty much pretend he never existed.

I also grew up with Bill Cosby. He was just an integral feature of American culture. We listened to all his albums (Right!), watched Fat Albert, and probably even bought some Jello pudding. Later, he was the archetypal American father. I couldn't hear his voice and not feel a combination of happiness and warm familiar comfort. Now... nope.

Now, I just wonder... who's going to be next?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I daresay I wouldn’t like the politics of any of my favorite artists. This is fine with me as I look to them only for entertainment. They’re very good at that.

But if your plumber showed up with his van covered in Trump stickers, wearing a MAGA hat and a T-shirt saying he stormed the Capitol on January 6, would you have him come in and fix your kitchen sink?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen. Plumbers have standards.

American Standards, in the case of toilets. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
When I was growing up, I couldn't understand how anyone could not find Woody Allen funny. I thought his movies were the pinnacle of culture and humor. Now, I pretty much pretend he never existed.

I also grew up with Bill Cosby. He was just an integral feature of American culture. We listened to all his albums (Right!), watched Fat Albert, and probably even bought some Jello pudding. Later, he was the archetypal American father. I couldn't hear his voice and not feel a combination of happiness and warm familiar comfort. Now... nope.

Now, I just wonder... who's going to be next?

Yeah.

And what's really interesting about this phenomenon, is that the reactions (unsure about the musicians) are NOT the result of censorship.

I doubt very much it would. be as pure and effective if censorship WERE put into effect against them. It's somehow a neutralization of our former positive senses towards whomever we've been turned off on. I think it's the result of a personality we've assumed to belong to the public figure - one we trust and identify with.

The gut-wrenching rejection of them once we've become disillusioned with that false image, just makes fans feel as if they'd dropped a mask.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Just a few to think about.
A great many movie personnel and celebrities supported Hitler and numerous 19th and 20th French painters joined the crowds rejecting Dreyfus and supporting Hitler.

Just spoils it a bit for me when I admire a Renoir, Pissarro, Cezanne and others. If I found out any of my favorite artists were pedophiles I guess I'd just as soon not know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...lie-manet-diary.html

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:

This goes back to what I said about there being a difference between an artist and his or her art.

I always take an interest in both, personally.

Interesting thread.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not gonna happen. Plumbers have standards.

American Standards, in the case of toilets. Cool

Lol.