well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID was here in December 2019

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID was here in December 2019
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A new antibody testing study examining samples originally collected through the National Institutes of Health’s All of Us Research Program found evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infections in five states earlier than had initially been reported. These findings were published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. The results expand on findings from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study(link is external) that suggested SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was present in the U.S. as far back as December 2019.

In the All of Us study, researchers analyzed more than 24,000 stored blood samples contributed by program participants across all 50 states between Jan. 2 and March 18, 2020. Researchers detected antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 using two different serology tests in nine participants’ samples. These participants were from outside the major urban hotspots of Seattle and New York City, believed to be key points of entry of the virus in the U.S. The positive samples came as early as Jan. 7 from participants in Illinois, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Most positive samples were collected prior to the first reported cases in those states, demonstrating the importance of expanding testing as quickly as possible in an epidemic setting.

https://www.nih.gov/news-event...-cov-2-infections-us

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Our son and his girlfriend think they had it early on. She works in a hotel and had it first. They never did check for antibodies...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mrs pj and I were in Dallas at the end of August 2019. She was teaching a class with about 15 students from around the country (and I think one or two from outside the US). We flew in and out of Love Field, not DFW.

She recalled that on the way home, she went into one gift store at the airport and the clerk was obviously ill.

A few days after we got home, she got really really REALLY sick. Coughing, and an achy feeling way down in her lungs. Doctor didn't find anything. About a week after she got sick, I got a milder case. I got over it in three or four days. Hers lingered a few weeks.

She still thinks she had an early case of SARS CoV2. We've had antibody tests because we donate blood, but after a year and a half, who knows if the antibodies would still be around.

I would have thought we'd have a greater risk of getting a bug at DFW.

I think she picked up something from someone in her class.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"The positive samples came as early as Jan. 7 from participants in Illinois, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Most positive samples were collected prior to the first reported cases in those states, demonstrating the importance of expanding testing as quickly as possible an epidemic setting."

But, wait. The CDC Director just said don't get tested if you're been exposed to someone with it or if you're having Covid symptoms. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post