well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Interesting weather possibility

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting weather possibility
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We had some wind and a thunderstorm this morning and now we're in an awful sauna. I mean, truly beastly. Perfect conditions for interesting weather tonight. Predictions are for a fast moving front moving through here tonight, possibly a derecho.

Gotta batten down the hatches in the garden....not looking forward to being outside much today....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

I hate all these unusual, and super powerful storms!! Do you have a basement?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes we do, though this storm is moving through here in the middle of the night.

A few weeks ago our tornado sirens went off at like 1:30 am, and while I woke up, it never occurred to me to get up and go to the basement. Duh. Guess I was just kind of out of it coming out of a deep sleep. Plus the windows were all closed and made the sirens seem far away; I didn't feel a sense of emergency even though I know what they're supposed to signal.

I'm thinking one of those battery powered weather radios might be a good investment....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Derecho no fun.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You guys had one come through a few years ago, didn't you? I think it was the same one that came through Chicago, but that somehow magically split and went around my particular area. Suburbs to the north and to the south of us had a lot of damage, but we barely had any wind. I think I remember it went all the way across to the east coast...

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have experienced at least two derechos. The last one, DC got it worse than we did. Those straight line winds do a lot of damage in a very short amount of time.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I'm thinking one of those battery powered weather radios might be a good investment....

Most cell phones will do that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, we got the message on the cell phones. The next morning was when we found them, because we don't keep our phones in the bedroom at night. As far as I can tell, the emergency alerts on the phone are great if you're awake and near your phone.

As I discovered, even a tornado siren didn't get my attention properly. I think I need something next to my head, screaming specific instructions for what to do.

Maybe something like this that I can leave on the nightstand all the time:

https://www.facebook.com/DFWWe...ve/1213151639181652/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Dew point at O'Hare is 74.

Major yuck.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There were winds in the 50-60 mph range that hit the general area but thankfully we were spared.

Bazootiehead-in-training