Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
So what’s up with Firefox? I have three accounts I’ve been paying online for years and now all of a sudden they only work with Chrome. I know that because the online and phone contacts at the various institutions tell me that.

I hate Chrome - the most intrusive of all of the browsers. I’m working on going back to pay by mail.

Anyone know what happened?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wait, what were you paying for?

Firefox the browser kept crashing on me. It was annoying.

Been using Brave for several months. So far I like it a lot.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My Home Depot commercial card, a company gas card, and a bank credit line. None of them work with Firefox anymore.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Duh. facepalm

Sorry, don’t know what’s going on. Mr wig uses Fidelity’s Bill Pay service, and he’s accessing it via Firefox. He hasn’t mentioned having any problems but he hasn’t logged on for several days.

How long have you been having problems?

I’ll check with mr wig in the morning....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s been several months, enough time that when I call in I always recommend that whoever is in charge of their IT department be fired immediately. I also recommend that a high school student of my acquaintance be hired because I guarantee you that kid will do a whole lot better job than whoever is taking care of it now.

Home Depot is tough to change but the gas card is not and I will be changing to a new one within the next week. I’m not real impressed with this bank anyway and will probably change because the fact they cannot field a competent IT department is the least of their problems. Evil has infested their ranks and it’s time for me to bail. There are many banks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Which does nothing to address the fact that I canceled all of my cable TV services because the cost got out of hand. A month later they came back to me with the offer for equal service for approximately 25% of what I paid for before. Stupid me, I signed up for it only to find that the service does not work. It does not work at all. Not only that, but a quick check on the Internet says that the service has never worked and people have been trying to get it to work since 2018.

I have spent several hours on the telephone with them and have pretty much decided that the service will never work and it never has.

I blame Republicans.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I use different browsers for different things. I keep all my work stuff in Firefox.

I have found the occasional website won't work in Chrome.

I second the view that Brave is pretty good. I tilt toward Vivaldi, just because I'm more used to it. Vivaldi is very easy to delete history. So I use it to read storires from the NY Times and Bloomberg. Read, delete history, and then you're ready to read the next story.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
This month, Chase would not even let me log into my account using IE. I could only get into it in Firefox. I don't like Chrome, and I assume that since it's a guugle product, it is monitoring everything I do and reporting back to the mothership.

[tangent]
Of course, everyone wants you to do everything on your phone or tablet and use their app. I think I have two apps on my phone that didn't come with it. I don't install an app if I don't have to. I understand it's easier to tailor the experience to each device easier with an app than with a web site, but other than playing Angry Birds or using a photographic light meter, I've almost never seen an app that can do anything that a well-designed website that is optimized for mobile devices can't do. And (I assume) a web site is less likely to hijack your camera or location data, at least not without your explicit permission. I've looked at apps that won't let you install them unless you give it permission to use your camera. Why does a calculator need access to your camera?

Avis just let me know that I can't rent a car using their Preferred thingy in two cities (I think Denver and Dallas) unless I use their app. I guess I won't be renting a car from Avis in either of those two cities.

This is why I got out of IT 25 years ago. Trying to make one application that worked on all of the various flaky platforms and operating systems in addition to making it do everything all the users thought they wanted exceeded my patience. It's only gotten worse.
[/tangent]

If these clowns would just keep things simple, any site would work fine on any browser. But everyone needs to add their dancing bologna. I like HuffPo's reporting. I hate their top-heavy carp-laden web site.

The few web pages I've developed, I just wrote out some HTML and they worked, they were small and responsive. I tried to redo one in a web builder (I don't even remember which one) and it churned out so much garbage, the files were five times the size and didn't work nearly as well.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post