well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Back to Masks

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to Masks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Los Angeles and the Delta variant

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
NB: "regardless of vaccination status."

We have never stopped wearing masks while out in public (and we still have not dined at restaurants, inside or out).

My reaction when the CDC said it was ok to ditch masks if you're vaccinated was that it was way too soon to making that announcement. And since vaccination status is not readily obvious just from looking, I thought it was a mistake to say "vaccinated people don't need masks" and do it by the honor system.

Anyway, hate to say "I told you so" but it looks like that's where we're headed. :/

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I check the chicago covid dashboard, where they graph all sorts of metrics. The lowest recent daily infection rate was 34 on 6/28. It has been climbing and the latest daily is 64...

The city is only about 50% vaccinated.

sigh

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I think our vaccination rate is maybe at 50% as well (I should go and check again, it's been maybe a week since I looked)...

Also, big employers, like my uni, who were once requiring employees to get tested weekly, are no longer requiring that, despite the still low rates of vaccination.

It's like everyone just jumped the gun, and now there's no looking back. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I see this playing out. Before, you had the mask/vaccine resisters either acting out aggressively, or complying very grudgingly. The sensible people complied with reasonable public health rules, even if those rules bounced around a little as our knowledge and evidence base grew. We were rules compliers with a social conscience.

Now, many of the vaccinated will resist calls to return to masking and surely fight calls to shut the world down again. They're being asked to protect not only the few who cannot be vaccinated (assuming children will be eligible at some point over the summer), but also to protect the resisters whose politicized behaviors have substantially caused our problems. Many will refuse and/or become hostile to a political order that forces them to comply "for the good of the resisters."

And of course you'll get nothing but hostility and non-compliance from the people most at risk of getting and spreading the disease.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Looks like Phase III trials in kids will be done in the fall.

Kids Aren't Just Littler Adults

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
NB: "regardless of vaccination status."

We have never stopped wearing masks while out in public (and we still have not dined at restaurants, inside or out).

My reaction when the CDC said it was ok to ditch masks if you're vaccinated was that it was way too soon to making that announcement. And since vaccination status is not readily obvious just from looking, I thought it was a mistake to say "vaccinated people don't need masks" and do it by the honor system.

Anyway, hate to say "I told you so" but it looks like that's where we're headed. :/

I love to say, "I told you so.". Big Grin Usually I keep my mouth shut and avoid wasting my breath and alienating others.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Southwest Missouri, the former world center for meth, is having a rough time with the Delta variant.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
NYT's covid data, which looks back for 14 days, shows a 121% increase in new cases, and a 26% increase in hospitalizations. Virtually all new cases are in the unvaccinated group.

I'm wearing my mask.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Los Angeles is back to mandatory masks. OC can’t be far behind. Cases in AZ are exploding.

I got my vax. Can’t do much more. Where do I go for my booster?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I haven't been unclear in other threads as to my opinion of the new mask wearing and testing guidance.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post