well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Can't Act as Defense Counsel ...

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6091013366

12 May 2019, 12:12 AM
Piano*Dad
Can't Act as Defense Counsel ...
... or undergrads will get all micro-aggressed.

Harvard Cans House Dean

for participating on Weinstein's defense team.

Being a legal counsel now seems disreputable. I seem to recall a time when acting as a counsel for an unpopular defendant was celebrated in movies and lore as part of the American Way. Not in the era of entitled eighteen year olds, I guess.

Harvard seems to have jelly where spine should be. Maybe Lawrence Bacow should take a lesson from Johns Hopkins.
12 May 2019, 04:46 AM
Daniel
I see the tradition of acting as defense council for unpopular defendants when I look at the '60's and '70's. People put a lot of emphasis on things like the 4th Amendment, the rights of the accused, and so on.

I don't see that with this defendant. He is unpopular but his defense is awash in money. He's not lacking for lawyers and his basic rights are almost certainly in no danger.

There are a good 30 years between my generation and the entitled 18 year old students of today. I don't understand them. This reminds me of the thread about destroying the Depression era mural.

But I wonder what role the colleges and universities, the administrations, and the professors are playing in all of these headline grabbing conflicts. This inexplicably narcissistic behavior on the part of students isn't happening in a vacuum.
13 May 2019, 08:08 AM
Piano*Dad
More on the Harvard dean's removal.

Harvard Won't Renew
13 May 2019, 08:23 AM
jon-nyc
You can forgive the kids but where are the fvcking grownups? Who’s running this place? Where are the alumni? Where’s the board?

It’s my reaction every time some college administration caves to this kind of thing.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

13 May 2019, 11:23 AM
Nina
Mine as well, followed by "where are the civics classes in high school?"
13 May 2019, 03:41 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
You can forgive the kids but where are the fvcking grownups? Who’s running this place? Where are the alumni? Where’s the board?

Running scared before the woke? ... lest they wind up at the wrong end of the Twitter mob? That's the charitable interpretation.