well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Can't Act as Defense Counsel ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't Act as Defense Counsel ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
... or undergrads will get all micro-aggressed.

Harvard Cans House Dean

for participating on Weinstein's defense team.

Being a legal counsel now seems disreputable. I seem to recall a time when acting as a counsel for an unpopular defendant was celebrated in movies and lore as part of the American Way. Not in the era of entitled eighteen year olds, I guess.

Harvard seems to have jelly where spine should be. Maybe Lawrence Bacow should take a lesson from Johns Hopkins.

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I see the tradition of acting as defense council for unpopular defendants when I look at the '60's and '70's. People put a lot of emphasis on things like the 4th Amendment, the rights of the accused, and so on.

I don't see that with this defendant. He is unpopular but his defense is awash in money. He's not lacking for lawyers and his basic rights are almost certainly in no danger.

There are a good 30 years between my generation and the entitled 18 year old students of today. I don't understand them. This reminds me of the thread about destroying the Depression era mural.

But I wonder what role the colleges and universities, the administrations, and the professors are playing in all of these headline grabbing conflicts. This inexplicably narcissistic behavior on the part of students isn't happening in a vacuum.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
More on the Harvard dean's removal.

Harvard Won't Renew

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You can forgive the kids but where are the fvcking grownups? Who’s running this place? Where are the alumni? Where’s the board?

It’s my reaction every time some college administration caves to this kind of thing.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Mine as well, followed by "where are the civics classes in high school?"

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
You can forgive the kids but where are the fvcking grownups? Who’s running this place? Where are the alumni? Where’s the board?

Running scared before the woke? ... lest they wind up at the wrong end of the Twitter mob? That's the charitable interpretation.