well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help me understand how this reknowned philanthropist thinks

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me understand how this reknowned philanthropist thinks
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Bernie Marcus, multi-billionaire co-founder of Home Depot, is in line to donate 6 billion $ to undoubtedly worthy causes in his lifetime.

How does this fit with his past contributions of 7 million $ to Trump's 2016 election bid and plans to contribute majorly to his next campaign?

Just can't make sense of how these values fit together. Especially disturbing after just learning the GOP is way ahead in fund-raising, all towards their evidently far more effectively targeted campaign. Nuts

Home Depot billionaire will contribute 6 billion to worthy causes - AND many millions to Trump campaign as he did last time

(Hey, here's a great target for well-designed Dem advertising, considering that fine tuning the targets of ads appears to be key to their success - also economising on campaign costs. Love to get through to HIM! Oughtn't it be somehow possible considering that his conscience appears to still be a factor in his giving?)

It seems so painfully clear to me that HWMNBN is doing such incalculable harm to the nation and planet. But am I just as brain-washed as I see the opposition as being? Confused

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Here is the other co-founder of Home Depot.

Arthur Blank

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Most of those guys go for causes likely to lower their taxes and causes where they themselves might benefit. If not themselves then others like them - colleges and hospitals.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35001 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
After the 90-year-old billionaire dies, 80 to 90% of his total wealth will go to his foundation to build centers to help veterans with disabilities around the country, fund medical research, and provide care for children with autism.

Amanda, do you really think Trump voters don’t care about such things?

I don’t think there’s much to be gained by thinking of the political opposition as cartoonishly evil.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33805 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
They just don't care about racism, misogyny, xenophobia, disability, presidential grifting, ... Razzer

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
After the 90-year-old billionaire dies, 80 to 90% of his total wealth will go to his foundation to build centers to help veterans with disabilities around the country, fund medical research, and provide care for children with autism.

Amanda, do you really think Trump voters don’t care about such things?

I don’t think there’s much to be gained by thinking of the political opposition as cartoonishly evil.

I don't think of them as "cartoonishly evil", Jon, but I DO have trouble seeing how they reconcile his positions (and those of his chosen cabinet) with such caring.

It seems there's a powerful disconnect between such social concerns and acting on their behalf.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
They just don't care about racism, misogyny, xenophobia, disability, presidential grifting, ... Razzer

Or, if they do, they view it as a small-order problem compared to the huge problem of higher taxes and social benefits.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post