well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Drivers Strike and Uber IPO

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drivers Strike and Uber IPO
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
“Strike All You Want. Uber Won’t Pay a Living Wage.

The choice is between underpaying drivers and replacing them with robots.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...pinion/uber-ipo.html

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Serious question, related but perhaps not directly: where is it written that all jobs must provide a living wage? As long as we don't have a federal minimum wage rate, some jobs will not provide a living wage.

I tend to agree that if you're working full-time, you should make "a living wage." But if you're job is reliant on tips and commissions, you need to realize that you will not have a steady income.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
How can the drivers strike when Uber can cancel its contract with any driver by pressing a button from a remote location. It's apparently as easy to do as banning someone from an internet forum. I couldn't read the full article because of the paywall but judging from the STFU or be replaced by robots tone I'd have to say I'd rather have a straight up discussion about cars. I want to drive my car or I want my driver to drive it. Call me old fashioned.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Another big article on why you simply cannot trust Uber:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...ever-companys-fault/

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post