well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Small gatherings a danger

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small gatherings a danger
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The relatives began asking themselves all of the typical COVID questions before they were to gather for a birthday gathering on Nov. 1, weighing the risk versus reward of doing something that — in any other year — they wouldn’t have thought twice about.

Alexa Aragonez, a 26-year-old from Arlington, said about a dozen family members reflected on their recent actions ahead of the indoor celebration. They felt collectively they had been extremely vigilant since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, for the most part going to work and then coming home, believing in masks and social distancing, Alexa said. They decided it would be safe to gather, she said, if they kept it within their small circle. To not get together for a birthday would almost seem unthinkable.

Within their close-knit Hispanic family, Alexa said, events like birthdays are excuses for everyone to be together and to bond over food. Her cousin’s wife, whose birthday they were marking, was going to have fajitas and cake.

Alexa had plans that kept her from the party but dropped off her mother, Enriqueta Aragonez, who’s 57. There were 11 other people at the house, all younger than her mother, including her pregnant cousin and four children under the age of 12. They ate food and shared conversation, not coming in close for any pictures, and left.

It was a couple days later that some people, including Enriqueta, began to feel what seemed like the early symptoms of a cold, or the coronavirus. On Nov. 4, fearing the worst, those at the party and their family members went to get tested.

All 12 people at the party returned positive test results, and the virus had spread to three more people.

https://www.star-telegram.com/...rticle247348329.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

I hope that story is read widely and taken to heart.

I have a relative who was absolutely livid when his state/area starting imposing new restrictions on in-store dining (last week maybe? don't remember). Anyway, he's all about "personal responsibility" and "each person should be allow to assess the risk and the act accordingly" blah blah blah. He's not willing to accept that indoor dining is probably the worst thing to do, because it requires everyone to remove their masks.

Anyway, I won't go on.... I just don't know what we can do to get people to change their behavior.

Frowner

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post