well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NY Times recipes: Be sure to read them all the way through

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times recipes: Be sure to read them all the way through
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I do use the NYT recipes frequently. Sometimes they are terrific; sometimes just meh in spite of all the effort.

But more than once (or two or three times) they leave out something. Like they don’t tell you what to do with some item on the ingredient list.

Today I made a tofu/cabbage stir fry involving red onion. You chop the red onion and salt it, then leave it in a bowl. Then you add the cooked tofu and cabbage to the bowl with red onion. The onion never gets cooked, and tastes it. Yuck!

Just one example.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I find that now and then too. You just have to figure it out.

But raw red onion is just too sharp a flavor for me. I don't even like it on a burger, which needs a big slab of sweet onion.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I made the dish from a recipe I had clipped out of the paper a year ago. So today I looked for the recipe online to read the comments. People complained about various things, but not about the onion not getting cooked.

So I left my own comment.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post