well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cleveland Clinic COVID vaccine study
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleveland Clinic COVID vaccine study
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've read a number of articles about the Cleveland Clinic study, and many come to the conclusion that study says the vaccines cause you to have more COVID. That's not accurate. They don't cover the study authors' discussion about the data they observed, and the fact that they came to no specific conclusions.

To P*D's point... it is important to have enough background to interpret a study.

For those non-statisticians like myself, this paper may offer some helpful info. I got it through a university connection who can access PubMed, but I'm not comfortable uploading it to Google Docs or something and sharing it with a broader audience because it's not a free article.

Those of you with access through a university, or perhaps other outlet (you subscribe to the Annals of Internal Medicine Big Grin), you may be able to access it if you're interested.

quote:
Multivariable analysis: a primer for readers of medical research

Abstract

Many clinical readers, especially those uncomfortable with mathematics, treat published multivariable models as a black box, accepting the author's explanation of the results. However, multivariable analysis can be understood without undue concern for the underlying mathematics. This paper reviews the basics of multivariable analysis, including what multivariable models are, why they are used, what types exist, what assumptions underlie them, how they should be interpreted, and how they can be evaluated. A deeper understanding of multivariable models enables readers to decide for themselves how much weight to give to the results of published analyses.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12693887/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Friend sent me this WSJ link. I think it's a gift link that bypasses the paywall. Let me know if it does/doesn't work for you.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a...share_mobilewebshare

Seemed to be some things worth considering, but I could have done without the editorial/political commentary, things like:

quote:
The Biden administration’s monomaniacal focus on vaccines over new treatments has left the highest-risk Americans more vulnerable to new variants. Why doesn’t that seem to worry the experts?

I need to go back and look at the individual studies that are linked to in the article; the Cleveland Clinic study is one of them but there are several others that looked pretty interesting.

I read this opinion piece and was put off by her clear bias.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
For me, the Cleveland Clinic study is just one more data point to be considered in a broader context. Other things I'm interested in include how the vaccine protects people in my age cohort; study participants are much younger than I am and we know COVID affects people differently depending upon age. And I'd like to see more data on protection against severe illness or death. And, just for good measure, a look at whether vaccines and/or Paxlovid provide protection against long COVID. Throw in my individual risk profile (prior reaction to vaccine but otherwise excellent health for someone my age) and it gets fairly complicated.

The journey continues.

This is important to me. Given my recent diagnosis of COVID infection while I was hospitalized for other reasons and my current vaccination status (original two vaccinations plus one booster), I discussed what my best strategy should be with the doctors providing my hospital care.

The general consensus was that since I had had COVID in the recent past without any significant symptoms, I probably had a fairly high level of antibodies and that it would be best to delay receiving the bivalent booster for at least a couple of months. That is the advice that I intend to follow unless new information of a fairly definitive nature emerges in the meantime.

I do think that the commentary from the person in the medical sciences field makes very valid points that may not have been fully recognized in the population of the study.

Big Al

Summary of a number of recent studies on the bivalent vaccine.

https://erictopol.substack.com...-booster-outperforms

tl;dr

quote:
The bivalent vaccine booster outperforms

A review of the cumulative body of evidence

quote:
The Bottom Line

Bivalent boosters work well to prevent severe Covid, as manifest by reduction of hospitalizations and deaths. They are not a panacea, by any means—their efficacy against infections is limited and of short duration, which has been the case for shots since the Omicron variant came along in late 2021.

The spike protein of the BA.5 bivalent more closely resembles XBB.1.5 than the Wuhan ancestral spike. The lab studies with live virus assays are strongly supportive. The clinical data are unequivocal. While it would be far better to have a “universal” pan-β-coronavirus vaccine that worked against all SARS-CoV-2 variants, and nasal vaccines to help block infections, the bivalent BA.5 booster has helped to bridge the big antigenic distance gap from the Wuhan strain to current Omicron subvariants. We’re lucky in the United States to have a big supply and it’s frankly disappointing to see the divisiveness, cherry picking of data, and detractors that defy the body of evidence that has now accumulated. The bivalent booster impact of broadening our immune response has exceeded expectations.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post