well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    At least it’s just a couple of days
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At least it’s just a couple of days
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Rolling Thunder for hours”

We had that too. I’ve never experienced it before.

Our previous dogs were terrified of thunder. Sam, fortunately, doesn’t seem to notice it.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Update. We lost power at around eleven PM. I went to check on the sump pump hole and the water was rising fast. I grabbed all the towels we had and surrounded the hole then hand bailed water while Rob starting moving things to higher ground. My dad came and rescued us a little after midnight with a generator so we managed to keep the water to just a small area in the unfinished section of the basement. Power came back on at around 10 (literal seconds after my dad had finished topping up the generator).

There is major damage all around our local area and most of my friends have water in their basements. I feel pretty lucky that we dodged the worst of it!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I didn’t watch the repub debate, but I heard that six of the eight denied climate change is real and eight of the eight denied that people have anything to do with climate change. I’m guessing that accurately represents their constituency.

One of Ramaswamy’s “ten truths” is that we can only survive by burning fossil fuels.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dol, yikes, that sounds harrowing!

PJ - yep. :/

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We don’t often get thunder, but rolling thunder started here at 12:45 am and went on through the night. Weird! Long, long waves of it. And intermittent downpours. It’s not particularly hot (90-ish) but the midnight thunder is weird.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

We got a bodacious little squall yesterday and I ended up driving through it with a piece of antique furniture unprotected in the back of the pickup. Slowed down to 25 to dodge tree branches and trash bins blowing across the road. The finish on the bookcase was ruined but I intended to strip it anyway so no real loss. By the time I got home the rain had stopped, I got it in the garage and was comfortably situated when the rain started again.

And rain it did! Thunder, lightning, the whole enchilada! We got 2.5 inches of rain overnight and enough thunder/lightning to carry us through 2024. Pretty cool, although the wind did blow the kayaks off of their storage shelves and all of the cushions off if the deck at the lake. No big deal - the AirBnB guests gathered everything up and seem happy to have had the experience.

Right now we’re down by Cincinnati at a Bluegrass festival and the weather is miserable, heat index around 105. We got a new RV though, and the A/C is large enough that we’re very comfortable

Mik, care to join us? Weather is supposed to relent over the next few days.

How's the bluegrass festival going, Steve?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Festival is great!

It’s an old-timey deal held on the Brown County Fairgrounds, which has a few buildings that date to the 19th century. The sound system is strictly modern though, and the grandstand is covered so I can get out of the sun. The weather has been brutal (heat index 105!) but a breeze came up that makes sitting in the shade bearable. The trailer A/C has been struggling to keep up - maintains about 80 degrees, maybe not so bad in this weather, but I’m going to look in the optional second A/C unit.

The performances have been mixed, most with great musicianship but few with competent singers. Most are dreadful, actually. The exception is the headline group, Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, and they sound even better live than they do on their recordings. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dol, glad nothing was badly damaged. Our friend one town over had her basement flood and is having throw away everything - including her new washer and dryer. Frowner

I have a battery backup secondary pump at my house. Have you looked in to adding one at your place?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We've been where dol was with the manual bailing. No fun at all.

We also have a battery sump pump as backup. It gets bonus points because it will also take over if your primary pump fails. We noticed that our backup pump was going on when there was no power outage. When we checked, realized that the pressure switch on the main pump was shot. If it weren't for the battery backup we would have had a mess on our hands.

We also have a generator, which we plug in for longer outages. Thankfully we don't have to run it very often, but it's there if we need it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dol, glad nothing was badly damaged. Our friend one town over had her basement flood and is having throw away everything - including her new washer and dryer. Frowner

I have a battery backup secondary pump at my house. Have you looked in to adding one at your place?

Before the last storm rolled through last night we had gotten 9 inches of rain in 24 hours. A friend has a battery backup sump pump and it wasn’t powerful enough to stay ahead of the water for this storm. She has several inches of water in her basement. We are going to buy a generator so we aren’t relying on using my parents’ since they only live 20 minutes away so frequently we will both lose power at the same time!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mik, ROTFLMAO

We had a storm roll in in the middle of the night last night, and indeed, it was a crazy-long sound and light show that went on much longer than a normal storm (and I'm now sleep-deprived, thank you very much).

Anyway, that broke the heat wave, thankfully, and it looks like we should have at least a week of more mild temps. Fingers crossed!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Festival is great!

It’s an old-timey deal held on the Brown County Fairgrounds, which has a few buildings that date to the 19th century. The sound system is strictly modern though, and the grandstand is covered so I can get out of the sun. The weather has been brutal (heat index 105!) but a breeze came up that makes sitting in the shade bearable. The trailer A/C has been struggling to keep up - maintains about 80 degrees, maybe not so bad in this weather, but I’m going to look in the optional second A/C unit.

The performances have been mixed, most with great musicianship but few with competent singers. Most are dreadful, actually. The exception is the headline group, Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, and they sound even better live than they do on their recordings. ThumbsUp

Conditions have definitely improved here at the festival 15 degrees cooler and so far the vocals have been excellent!