Notify
Tools

Elvis
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
You guys liked my last movie review so much I’m posting another one. Smiler

Elvis. HBO. Baz Luhrman, part of a trifecta that includes Moulin Rouge and Romeo/Juliet.

Starts off gangbusters. Award worthy in several categories and will likely be nominated. Loses steam about halfway through, unfortunately. Quirky.

Two things to watch:

Watch the makeup. Elvis is Adam Lambert, Enrique Iglasias, Michael Jackson, Rocky, Ricky Nelson, John Travolta, and maybe others I didn’t recognize. Too obvious to be accidental.

Everyone in the movie ages but Elvis never does. That says something, but I couldn’t say what.

Bottom line? Elvis was a great singer but he wasn’t real bright.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I used to love Elvis when I was a little kid, I think I saw all those movies and music shows from when he was young and that was my image of him.

Where is this movie playing? I mean, is it on a cable channel, in theaters?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
HBO.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahh. Too bad. -_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loses steam about halfway through

So did Elvis. Wink

Was in Memphis frequently when I lived in Missouri.
In late high school the gates of his home became a good place to meet girls.
Would go to Memphis for a lunch or a haircut or whatever whim.
Elvis was central to life in that region.
I became sick of him long ago.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think the production was better than the story but I watch movies weird like that.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you have Xfinity cable, HBO is free from Sept 6 through 10..

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with your review, Steve. We watched the first hour or so last night. (Warning: it runs 2.5 hours)

I really liked the art design in the front half (the "Baz Luhrman" stuff). I really liked how they showed the influence of Beale St/blues/Black musicians on him. I thought the explanation that he had to move in order to "feel" the music, because that was what he learned as a kid attending revivals, was kind of hokey--though it might have been true. Tom Hanks' accent faded in and out.

I totally agree with you about the makeup and aging. Why was Elvis able to keep his hair long and Elvis-like when he was in the Army? It made no sense, and I can only hope it was a conscious , artistic decision that went over my head.

That said, I'll definitely finish it, which is more than I can say for a lot of things I've tried to watch.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post