well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Public Service Announcement: Please Do Not Tell Someone They Are Limping
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Service Announcement: Please Do Not Tell Someone They Are Limping
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Cindy!

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Cindy, with the hip replacement.

My general preference is that, if a part of the body is not working well, it’s usually better to fix it sooner rather than later because when one part is not working well, the human body tries to compensate in all sorts of different ways that put unnatural stresses on other parts of the body, thus causing problems for other parts of the body over time. Damages to other parts of the body can thus be avoided if we fix the original problem sooner rather than later.

Hope the procedure goes well for you.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I firmly believe that Prince would still be here on earth with us had he had a hip replacement. Just sayin.. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
My general preference is that, if a part of the body is not working well, it’s usually better to fix it sooner rather than later because when one part is not working well, the human body tries to compensate in all sorts of different ways that put unnatural stresses on other parts of the body, thus causing problems for other parts of the body over time. Damages to other parts of the body can thus be avoided if we fix the original problem sooner rather than later.

i was going to say the same thing. i blew out my right knee when I was 17, spent the next three years mostly on crutches because it kept (very painfully collapsing), finally got surgery to remove the torn meniscus at 20, but still had no ACL. My ACL was not reconstructed until I was 42. Years of backpacking, skiing, and very hard use with an unstable knee. It continued to deteriorate until my entire body was a twisted disaster and I had neuropathy so bad in my right foot that i was in and out of a wheelchair, could not stand for more than a minute or two, and the pain was excruciating.

But I was tough. I put up with it, and pushed on, doing lots of things most able bodied people don't do.

I knew a knee replacement was in my future, but I still hesitated. What finally convinced me to get it was a conversation with my horse's body worker. He had had his knee replaced, and urged me to do it for one simple reason: the longer you use your body incorrectly, the more you are destroying your ability to function throughout your entire body.

Because of the knee, my leg was twisted, my spine was twisted, my neck was in terrible pain, my hips were unstable. I was like a Picasso paintiong of a woman.

Limping is a terrible, terrible thing to do to your body. It ruins everything. Even if you don't get your hip replaced, you *must* stop limping! Use a cane. Use crutches. But stop limping! It is not benign!

I now have a straight leg with my new knee. It's been more that two years since the surgery and I still can't believe how different I look when I pass a mirror--I am standing up straight! I can keep my head straight over my shoulders! But I am still fighting over 40 years of biomechanical dysfunction and unhealthy movement patterns that I now must undo.

The sooner you get the surgery the better.

And if I saw you limping severely while playing tennis, it would be very, very hard for me to not express my concern, because of my own experience and first-hand knowlege of what limping leads to.

Good luck with your surgery!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with replacements - keep as active as you can right up to surgery... I think I biked 35 miles the day before my knee replacement. Biking was the one thing I could still do even though I was using a cane for walking at the time.

Something I never really learned was to NOT push too hard in recovery. I always seemed to want to get stronger faster, but paid the price with swelling or discomfort! It is ok to take time to heal...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Pique, I understand the sentiment about getting the surgery sooner rather than later. Like I said, I first noticed this problem about 10 years ago. I delayed over the years because you're not supposed to run after hip replacement, and I didn't want to give it up.

I have had some injuries lately, but I'm finally ready to run again. I scheduled the hip surgery months ago and told myself I would try to get back to running. If I succeeded, I would cancel. If I failed, I would do the surgery.

The running hasn't gone well. I can run because my limitations are with rotation, not back and forth movements. So running is actually easier than walking. But I wasn't able to build up to any real speed or distance because I have to be mindful of other parts of my body. And I can't just power walk because of the need for rotation.

So I will go ahead. I am sad about not being able to run. It was such a great way to get a quick workout. And I feel like this is the first age-related physical limitation I have ever had, so that is demoralizing.

Thanks for the support, everyone. At this point, I just want to get it over with.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I hope it goes well for you, Cindy.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7415 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You're potentially saving your knees by getting the hip done. Mr wtg's knee problems improved a lot after he got the hips replaced. As the orthopedic surgeon told him, the hip is a rotating joint and the knee is a scissor joint. When the hip can't rotate, your body tries to transfer the rotational motion to the knee, which isn't built for it. Bad things happen.

Again, best of luck!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

i was going to say the same thing. i blew out my right knee when I was 17, spent the next three years mostly on crutches because it kept (very painfully collapsing), finally got surgery to remove the torn meniscus at 20, but still had no ACL. My ACL was not reconstructed until I was 42. Years of backpacking, skiing, and very hard use with an unstable knee. It continued to deteriorate until my entire body was a twisted disaster and I had neuropathy so bad in my right foot that i was in and out of a wheelchair, could not stand for more than a minute or two, and the pain was excruciating.

But I was tough. I put up with it, and pushed on, doing lots of things most able bodied people don't do.

I knew a knee replacement was in my future, but I still hesitated. What finally convinced me to get it was a conversation with my horse's body worker. He had had his knee replaced, and urged me to do it for one simple reason: the longer you use your body incorrectly, the more you are destroying your ability to function throughout your entire body.

Because of the knee, my leg was twisted, my spine was twisted, my neck was in terrible pain, my hips were unstable. I was like a Picasso paintiong of a woman.

Limping is a terrible, terrible thing to do to your body. It ruins everything. Even if you don't get your hip replaced, you *must* stop limping! Use a cane. Use crutches. But stop limping! It is not benign!

I now have a straight leg with my new knee. It's been more that two years since the surgery and I still can't believe how different I look when I pass a mirror--I am standing up straight! I can keep my head straight over my shoulders! But I am still fighting over 40 years of biomechanical dysfunction and unhealthy movement patterns that I now must undo.

The sooner you get the surgery the better.

And if I saw you limping severely while playing tennis, it would be very, very hard for me to not express my concern, because of my own experience and first-hand knowlege of what limping leads to.

Good luck with your surgery!

Amen. My brother ws hit by a car on his 18th birthday walking cross te street. he and his grilfriend got matching broken legs. Hs was never set correctly and was ever after bowlegged on one side. It caused all sorts of problems for his movement and alignment.

Finally in his late 40's he had it rebroken and reconstructed. A very rough row to how, but it made a world of difference.

He still experiences some difficulties. He's a working musician and has recently developed a weakness in his left arm/hand such that he cannot play the guitar at all. It apparently originates in his neck, which wasn't helped by being a piano tech for years either.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post