well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I used to have one of these...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I used to have one of these...
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Italian Moka pot - stovetop coffee maker

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...nlg2hJxfHfLUdBDGsMKY

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I bought couple of those (one small, one large) when I was in Italy in the late 70s. My mom and I stayed with her friend who was living in Florence. Barbara used to make coffee in the morning using a Moka pot.

I still have them, but haven't used them in years. Maybe I'll drag one out and make some coffee tomorrow morning and remember the olive groves in Firenze....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I used one for a week two spring breaks ago at our VRBO in Rome. The problem was it was too narrow for the stovetop. If you didn't balance it just right on the gas grate it would tip over and make a huge hot mess.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Used one until the warnings about cooking
with aluminum were everywhere.
They make good coffee.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We used them when we visited Italy. Every AirBnB had at least one.

I've been thinking about getting one for here. I like the coffee they make.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I didn't know the company was in trouble. I still see these pots in stores, at least for now, and every Italian salumeria (and there are lots in and around NYC) has them...though I'm not sure how many they actually sell.

There are also plenty of them in thrift stores, too.

The design is so successful that there are knock-offs, even in the dollar stores.

Jon makes a good point -- they come in different sizes, so just make sure you get one large enough to sit comfortably on your stove grate.

I may pick one up just for fun.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13815 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post