well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Either baking or heading to the bakery
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Either baking or heading to the bakery
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I have everything but the scones...and this is why it would be so terribly difficult for me to go on a low or no carb diet...

I usually have some of the black currant preserves around to have on toast occasionally in the morning.

And I was at the grocery store yesterday and spotted the clotted cream. Could. Not. Resist..

It happens.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't think I know what clotted cream is.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's a British thing.

It's about as thick as sour cream but not sour/tangy. And way more butterfat. The clotted cream I bought is 55%. There is also a double cream that is 62% .

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...clotted-cream-435423

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks yummy! Is it like a cross between whipped cream and butter??

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's pretty dense, like sour cream. But the richness of butter.

My Mom and I went to this tea room, which was located next to Aysgarth Falls in Yorkshire. Check out the pics of their food offerings.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...rkshire_England.html

It was the coziest tea room ever. We stopped at the falls and came about Mill Race totally by accident. We had the best tea and other goodies ever. You'll probably recognize the clotted cream.

I have a cardiologist on speed dial, just in case...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It's pretty dense, like sour cream. But the richness of butter.

I wonder if I've actually had that and just didn't know what it was called. It's sweet, right?

quote:
I have a cardiologist on speed dial, just in case...

Ole

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Being a milk product it has naturally occurring lactose, so there is a hint of the kind of sweetness you get in milk.

But it has no added sugar (so it's healthy, right?).

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm... maybe I had it, maybe not. But I'm curious to try it now! Smiler

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Our favourites which are widely available here are Rodda's Cornish Clotted Cream and Bonne Maman Strawberry conserve, on scones.

Or make cheese & thyme scones, eaten warm with butter.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Mom and I went to this tea room, which was located next to Aysgarth Falls in Yorkshire. Check out the pics of their food offerings.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...rkshire_England.html

Thanks for this suggestion Yes We go to Leyburn to auctions occasionally, maybe try it next week.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was there in 1984, so my review is a bit dated. Big Grin

The surroundings are lovely and worth the trip. From the tripadvisor reviews it seems that people think the food at the cafe is quite good.

If you go, I'd love to hear what you think!

Mom having tea. Look at how thick the walls in the building are..

Bonne Maman products are also widely available here. They’re very tasty. Yummy

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I’ve never heard of clotted cream until now. I’ve never seen it either in any of the stores that I’ve been in. Or maybe clotted cream was there but I didn’t notice it.

I buy Irish Butter. It tastes better than regular brands sold in the U.S. such as Imperial and Land Of Lakes. Irish butter is higher in butter fat content and has a creamier taste than the regular brands.

So how does clotted cream compare with Irish butter?

The first photo shows that it’s sold in glass jars. So is it sold in a store’s refrigerated section or the non-refrigerated section?

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I bought it at Tony's Fresh Market, but it's also available at Mariano's. It's in the cheese department, refrigerated, at both stores. It was a couple of bucks cheaper at Tony's.

I started thinking that another way to describe it is a cross between cream cheese and butter. It's a bit softer and more spreadable than cream cheese, which typically has stabilizers in it. It has the rich mouth feel of butterfat. But it doesn't really taste like butter.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Thanks wtg. I'll buy a jar next time I'm there.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So how were the scones?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post