WORLDLE
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
You got them all in a single guess? I’ve done in 3 or less without looking at a map.

Yeah, I've gotten them all on the first try. I only had to think about it on two of them. When I was young, I really did practically memorize maps of every continent. Politics has changed some borders since then, but I've continued learning too. Wink

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
So I do the cloud thing and imagine what the shape looks like, (today there was a face, a couple of days ago it was a guy riding a horse) and then look at the world map and find them that way. When my son was a toddler we has a wooden state puzzle map and he could tell us the state names By their shape. I think I need a wooden world puzzle.

I'm doing pretty much the exact opposite. It's really interesting to see people's strategies.

I don't know the shapes of most countries, which is interesting in itself, because I had an art professor tell me that I was "motivated by shape." I can find them pretty quickly on a map, though, so I'm solely using the directional clues to solve the Worldle. This was the first time I crashed and burned, but there's always tomorrow.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
#Worldle #30 1/6 (100%)

If you don't want a hint/spoiler, don't read what follows ...

What do you do when a country's de jure borders don't match its de facto boundary, i.e. when another country has lopped off significant chunks of your territory and you exert no political control in those regions? That's today's case.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
An easy one for me.

#Worldle #31 1/6 (100%)

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Shweeet. No, Swe....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This surprised me after yesterday.

#Worldle #32 1/6 (100%)

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
This surprised me after yesterday.

#Worldle #32 1/6 (100%)

Likewise. Got it 2.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I saw y'all chatting before I did it, so I got it in one, but it doesn't really count. Probably would have taken two or three, because I didn't recognize the shape.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Mildly spoiler-y...
.I wallowed around the area for five guesses, because I just don't know the shapes. I finally got it when I asked myself, "Is there something timely about this one?"

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
#Worldle #40 1/6 (100%)

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Today's country has what looks to me to be a pretty generic shape, so that's impressive.

The only ones I've gotten in one were Iceland and Indonesia. Apparently, a country has to be an island for me to recognize it by its shape.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You didn’t get Ukraine?

I don’t remember Iceland, I must have skipped that day. I got Indonesia in 2. Guessed Malaysia first. I knew it was one or the other.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Ukraine weirded me out. I was looking for the bay where Odessa is on the far left and it wasn't there. This is because the border cuts up away from the coastline there, but I got tunnel vision looking for the dang bay and saying, "It can't be Ukraine!"

I've actually been to Ukraine, yet it's one of the few I missed, so this was humiliating.

I did get Serbia (but not in one), which I think was the day the Ukraine thing started and which I presume we were to associate with world war. Comforting, no?

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I was there too, in Odessa, back in 2004. When were you there?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I went in 1999, just for a day. I took my mother on a Mediterranean cruise that didn't ordinarily go into the Black Sea, but was diverted there to see the total solar eclipse.

We took a bus tour of Odessa, did some exploring on foot on our own, and saw a performance of Swan Lake at the decaying-but-still-beautiful opera house. All in all, I thought the tour organizers made the most of our limited time. How long were you there?

The ship also stopped at Constanta, Romania, where they got so few tourists that they had to mobilize school buses and recruit what seemed like every English-speaker in town to be tour guides. Our 20-something guide, Adrian, was really good, and he was very politically active. He told us very plainly that his country wanted to be part of NATO, concluding with "We have been waiting for you for fifty years." I've been thinking a lot about him this week.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com