well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vinyl or CD?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl or CD?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found a USB Digital-to-Analog Converter that I plugged into the USB-C port on my laptop. It is a Dragonfly Cobalt via Amazon. It is the size of a thumb drive. It bypasses the computer audio. I have plugged my high-end Sennheiser headphones into it.
I switched the sound quality of Amazon Music to Ultra Hd and I am listening to a Joshua Bell recording. The volume control of the computer was also bypassed. Amazon Music through my iphone is working much better than with my laptop due to a volume control.
I like it. The sound has a spacious quality that I like. The high notes sound superb.
I have not been listening to music very much. I will now.

This sounds really interesting, Chas! I am going to look into it!

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I found a lot of info on the Crutchfield site.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ken Fritz built the world's finest audio system.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

I doubt my ears are good enough to appreciate that system.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Ken Fritz built the world's finest audio system.

I just read a long article on WaPo about him. Wow, some serious life lessons to be read about in the WaPo article. Will have a look at your link later.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have some really mixed feelings about Ken Fritz's story.

On the one hand, I admire anyone who puts so much dedication and craftsmanship into a passion, anyone who strives to excel.

On the other, he was an abusive and selfish father, and his disinheriting his son is really all one needs to know to judge his character.

It also seems nearly criminal to have broken up his life's work like that and sold it for a pittance. I think whoever was advising the family on the sale of the house did them a disservice. With the right marketing and publicity, the right buyer could have been found for the house--they would have been buying a stereo system with a house attached.

I also object to the lauding of it as the "world's greatest sound system." That's very far from an objective statement, and is akin to someone saying an ice cream flavor is "the world's greatest ice cream flavor." Maybe it is the most expensive. Maybe it required the longest and most intense human investment of time and energy of any sound system ever. Doesn't mean it would have agreed with my or your taste.

What are the lessons to be gleaned from Ken Fritz's life?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Is it a gimmick? I suspect some or all of it is. If so, I don't care. I love it.

I think spatial audio is only part of it. Is there really a high resolution of lossless element? I think so, but the perception of someone who wears two hearing aids might not be the best perception. Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Is it a gimmick? I suspect some or all of it is. If so, I don't care. I love it.

I think spatial audio is only part of it. Is there really a high resolution of lossless element? I think so, but the perception of someone who wears two hearing aids might not be the best perception. Smiler

Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio can be applied to older recordings. High Resolution is real. https://youtu.be/E-d6XzTNk4A?si=_XfyR1C-yyOq5asg

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHAS:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I got carried away.
High resolution is probably also a gimmick. I like it.