well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    UPS last mile drivers - STINKY!!!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS last mile drivers - STINKY!!!
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I don't know if this is a holiday season thing, but UPS is now apparently using gig drivers to do their last-mile deliveries -- people using their own cars to deliver packages to homes.

We got two packages delivered at the same time by the same driver tonight, but they were ordered from two separate places.

Both of them positively REEKED of cigarette smoke. Mrs pj opened the one for DD, removed the contents (books) (apparently not stinky) and put the box back out on the porch. She couldn't stand to have it in the house. I took the other one to the basement to air out. I was hoping to just wrap the box with its contents for an upcoming holiday. I may not be able to do that. The item is linens... on the one hand, absorbent; on the other, washable.

Anyone have any ideas how to complain to UPS about this? I'm not (yet) going to make a claim for damages (I don't want to have to return the item and re-order it).

In this day and age, I think it's something UPS should pay attention to: no smoking with packages in the car... or maybe not at all.

I wouldn't get into a taxi or a rideshare if it smelled of smoke, much less if the driver was actively smoking.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I get the sense that Amazon is beginning to clean UPS's clock, just like UPS did to USPS fifteen years ago. Not sure why UPS is failing to compete well.

I'm sure you can register a complaint online, or over the phone, but I'm not sure if anyone will pay much attention to it. Alas.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I just went through over a week of hell trying to get Mr Pique's Xmas gift delivered. The shipping company kept putting in the tracking info that it was "out for delivery". On Tuesday were told to expect delivery between 10 am and 10 pm. No show, no call, no nothing. Tuesday night the shipper promised I'd get a call Weds morning with an update. Never called. Then I was told it was scheduled for Friday between 9 and noon. De nada. Then told, no, it will be here today between 8 and 11. Again, crickets. Called the seller, who called the shipper, who said the package is lost. I canceled the order and then ordered a new item from Costco, hoping it would get here before February.

Relieved to put the roller coaster in the rear view mirror, we went out for a 3 mile hike. In the last mile my phone rang. It was the delivery driver, saying they were 30 minutes from my house (it's now nearly 4 pm). We rushed home... and waited.

Finally they arrived. They knew nothing about any of the promises the shipping company made. They weren't the shipping company, but a "last mile delivery" company --in Butte (in Montana, the last mile is actually 60 miles).

The driver was very sweet and apologetic. "Everyone is ordering online. We have 12 more deliveries to make tonight." This was at 5 pm.

We now have a new treadmill to put together in the den. I'll cancel the one from Costco if everything works out.

The shipper--NSD in VA--was horrible, no communication, promising what they did not deliver. In future I won't buy anything that might end up being shipped by them.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I had a nurse check my vitals the other day who smelled like smoke (as much as I could tell she was doing everything possible to minimize the smell). It made me feel like I was suffocating. I have no physical tolerance for cigarettes. It surprises me anyone still smokes.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Delivery for a package I ordered was expected Friday.
Delivery is now "Pending".
The travels of the package that is expected in Tucson. It has been around Ohio, Illinois, and was last scanned in a small town southeast of Wichita.

TRACK ANOTHER SHIPMENT
ADD NICKNAME

Travel History
Shipment Facts

Local Scan Time
TIME ZONE
Travel History
Date or Time City & State Status
Friday, December 17, 2021
11:26 AM ROSE HILL, KS
In transit
Thursday, December 16, 2021
10:56 PM STREATOR, IL
In transit
10:25 AM BRIDGEVIEW, IL
In transit
9:55 AM CHICAGO, IL
In transit
Wednesday, December 15, 2021
7:06 PM CHICAGO, IL
In transit
4:11 AM DESHLER, OH
In transit
Tuesday, December 14, 2021
1:16 PM PERRYSBURG, OH
Departed FedEx location
12:38 AM PERRYSBURG, OH
Arrived at FedEx location
Monday, December 13, 2021
9:54 PM LANSING, MI
Left FedEx origin facility
8:40 PM LANSING, MI
Arrived at FedEx location
4:49 PM LANSING, MI
Picked up

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post