well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Seattle home with no internet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle home with no internet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Quelle nightmare.

quote:
Couple bought home in Seattle, then learned Comcast Internet would cost $27,000
City "has no authority to require Comcast" to connect unserved homes.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-p...et-would-cost-27000/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's awful. I'm wondering whether, if I were in their shoes, it would even occur to me to check. And, if I did check, whether the ISP would have said yes because every other house in the neighborhood is connected. I'm not sure when you call and ask if they service the address if they are actually looking up the address or just the neighborhood.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Gee, and I thought I had it tough.

I finally got tired of my old telecom/internet provider because even with three DSL lines into my house, they couldn't provide reliable data speeds to stream video in particular. That company was the successor to the local independent telephone company.

I switched to the only other provider available at my address. They were the local cable TV service and now provide telecom and internet as well. There was no installation charge and the service has been better than what I had before. The cost is about the same.

The availability of service, even in what is essentially a suburban location, can be very limited. Before I switched, I inquired about service with all the major providers I could think of. None of them could or would serve my house, which didn't really surprise me because everything on my road is aerial and I could see whose lines were on the poles.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a nightmare!

I don't really blame the home buyers, but

quote:
Cohn told us the sellers disclosed in documents before the sale that Internet wasn't connected at the home, but he didn't realize it wouldn't be possible to get service at all.

this just shows you really can't assume anything!!

In full disclosure, I am pretty sure we did not do anything to double check internet access before we bought this house either.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Was told recently that 5G internet service for $25 a month was available in some places.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
That was just like my marital home..Only internet was satelite for years.

The company Mr. BeeLady worked for paid for ISDN so that was better...

Only after the divorce and I moved out (Mr. Beelady is still there), the cul de sac finally got the cable company to run lines to the 4 of the 5 homes..at a price of $30K each. We had been asking, demanding, attending meetings for 25 years!

The one jerk neighbor refused to join in ...but he is a lawyer..I told the neighbors the deed states "majority rules" so they could have made him chip in. Yes

I suspect he will hook up quietly without letting anyone else know... Skeptical

Not sorry he is not my neigbhor anymore.

One neighbor who worked for Cisco did move in without checking the internet status. She considered suing the real estate agent..But her company paid for her connection by satellite.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Run a cable to an apartment complex, you get access to hundreds of prospective subscribers.

Run a cable to a neighborhood of MacMansions, you get access to half a dozen of perspective subscribers.

Even if the MacMansions are willing to pay for $200/month package of top tiered services each, it’s still only $1200/month over half a dozen MacMansions, while at the lowest tiered $40/month Internet only service, a 200 unit apartment complex can get you $8000/month of subscription revenues. The deployment economics favor higher subscriber density.

If not for government regulations requiring services to be extended to rural areas, the folks in rural areas will most likely not get wired communications services at all.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
T-Mobile has fast 5G wireless internet service available in several areas now. More areas will become available over time - $50/month.

Wired cable is about to go by way if the rooftop antenna.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
If not for government regulations requiring services to be extended to rural areas, the folks in rural areas will most likely not get wired communications services at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
T-Mobile has fast 5G wireless internet service available in several areas now. More areas will become available over time - $50/month.

Wired cable is about to go by way if the rooftop antenna.

The Rural Electrification Administration (REA) did something like this starting in the Depression era. Should we have such an organization today? I remember when cell service was much spottier that it is now, and there are still places you can't get reception. Will 5G come very soon to many areas?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
About wireless broadband …

Just like you have to connect a data cable to your Wi-Fi router, the cellular broadband company needs to connect a broadband cable to just about every cell antenna/tower.

To actually transmit data wirelessly at high speeds, you need to be “close enough” to the cell tower. And each cell tower needs to be wired to a data cable. So to get high speed “wireless” Internet service to a rural area, you still need to pull a data cable pretty close to the subscribers. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ax raises a good point.

They've just started rolling out 5G in the Chicago area. We started seeing towers pop up in my town; one is half a block away from me. The next one down is maybe 5 blocks.

It's a Verizon tower and I thought about trying it out, but unlike T-Mobile, Verizon isn't doing a free trial for a month. Both companies are giving away the hardware you need to connect. My Xfinity internet is pretty good so for now I'll stick with it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
About wireless broadband …

Just like you have to connect a data cable to your Wi-Fi router, the cellular broadband company needs to connect a broadband cable to just about every cell antenna/tower.

To actually transmit data wirelessly at high speeds, you need to be “close enough” to the cell tower. And each cell tower needs to be wired to a data cable. So to get high speed “wireless” Internet service to a rural area, you still need to pull a data cable pretty close to the subscribers. Shrug

Still more profitable than pulling cable in to houses, no?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet, not even 2% of 4G's range. So to ensure a reliable 5G signal, there needs to be a lot of 5G cell towers and antennas everywhere. We're talking on every lamppost, traffic light, etc. because even trees can block 5G signals." Everywhere?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post