well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    10 books from the 1970s

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 books from the 1970s
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The 10 Books That Defined the 1970s
Books that paint a fair picture of the landscape of literary culture for the decade.

Interesting look back. I’ve read some of the ten and a bunch more from the addendum. I wonder what I would think about them if I reread them now.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am woefully under-read, but just reading the titles brings back the era. I read Zen and the Art… and Working (from the addendum) but there is a copy of A Hundred Years of Solitude floating around. The Pynchon sounds interesting. (I read his later work, Inherent Vice.)

If I were to go back to those books, though, I would worry that I’m retreating from the present day.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The Other Side of Midnight Leaving

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
there is a copy of A Hundred Years of Solitude floating around

I remember being totally blown away by it when I read it.

Definitely worth reading. And that recommendation comes from someone who rarely reads fiction.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've read them all -- I had a lot more free time in the 70s! Big Grin

I agree, I was totally blown away when I read it, too.

I read "Zen and the Art...." and was decidedly not blown away by it. Ditto for "Gravity's Rainbow," which I forced myself to get through.

A perhaps glaring omission here (and one I'd gladly swap "Zen.." for) is "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," though I suspect if I were to reread it now I might cringe.

Ooooh! The 60's version has Didion's "Slouching Towards Bethlehem." Incredible, amazing writing. I LOVED that book, and found it has held up over time, along with most of her essays. I read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" in school and lived to tell about it. I'm pretty sure it's at the top of many school library banned lists. I'm pretty sure I read it in middle school.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've read four.

I was expecting an Erica Jong novel and Jonathan Livingston Seagull to be there too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I've also read 4 from their 60s list and 4 from their 50s list.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post