well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Porcelain slab countertops?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porcelain slab countertops?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Anyone have experience with these? Until this week i was not aware such a thing existed. Now it is looking like a good candidate for our kitchen.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've never seen it before. Interesting stuff.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Me neither.

Porcelain can be quite durable as a flooring material, and I assume that's also the case when it's used for counters. Also pretty amazing what porcelain can be made to look like; I have porcelain tile in a bath that looks like a wood floor. Also looks like it can be installed over existing counters, a nice time- and mess-saver.

I'm a fan of Corian and Corian-like solid surface stuff for counters, in part because of their durability, repairability in the unlikely event it gets damaged, and because it has a matte finish.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Reading a bit - it sounds like the countertops are like giant porcelain tiles.

Tricky to install because they are thin, but once installed very durable. I'm not sure what happens if you drop something heavy on the counter and break it. I know you can break porcelain tiles if you are not careful.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My only question about porcelain countertop is this: can I cleave a rack of ribs on it? Not directly on the porcelain, but let’s say I put a wood or plastic butcher block on the porcelain, then cleave a rack of ribs on the butcher block. Can the porcelain take the impact without cracking?

I don’t know the answer and hope to find out. I have that question only because I always think of “porcelain” as “fragile”. Other than that one uncertainty, I very like everything else I see/read about porcelain countertops so far.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I know they have to be well supported, not a problem in our kitchen - they'd be installed on top of 3/4" plywood, 3/8" concrete backer and 3/8" granite tile. I love the fact that they will take the heat like granite, are not porous and will not stain, are incredibly tough, and have the look of quartz, or pretty much whatever you want.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Edge treatments seem to be an issue as the colors/patterns don't go all the way through. Do they sell trim pieces?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have not gotten that far yet, but had the same question - if you put it over another counter how do you handle the edges.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I am still desiring butcherblock counter top...call me old fashioned...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love our manufactured granite/quartz countertops. But I read recently that their manufacturing process is causing all sorts of horrible respiratory diseases and lung cancer, and now I don't love them quite as much.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post