well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Skyline Chili
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skyline Chili
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Going out for Skyline Chili today.

Should I get the three way, the four way, or the five way?

Or a Coney?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Choices!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
But seriously, the classic meal is a three way and a cheese coney, mustard no onion. Me, I like onion on the cheese coney.

A new devotee is about to be born. But, Grasshopper, do not expect to fully understand it on your first visit. It can be kind of an acquired taste, but once you have it....

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Oh, and their Chilitos are pretty good too. Chili and cheese in a tortilla like a small burrito. But go classic first.

Also, do not expect to get a respectable burrito in Ohio after having grown up in SoCal. We have things they call burritos but they are just not right.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Started me on the journey of chili with spaghetti...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Oh, and their Chilitos are pretty good too. Chili and cheese in a tortilla like a small burrito. But go classic first.

Also, do not expect to get a respectable burrito in Ohio after having grown up in SoCal. We have things they call burritos but they are just not right.

Steve and a SoCal burrito.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And that, gentle readers, is what a proper burrito looks like. ThumbsUp

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Started me on the journey of chili with spaghetti...
I have tried to get Mrs pj interested in the idea of chili mac, but to no avail. I seem to recall it as a regular item in the school lunch rotation when I was in grade school.

I just looked at the menu. Four-way with onions would be my first choice.

In Vienna Virginia there is a place called the Vienna Inn. When I lived there, it seemed to have been made out of three trailers with sheets of tin and paneling. Although there were theoretically other items on the menu, the only thing I ever saw anyone there eat was chilidogs. Chilidogs were a dollar. Beer was a dollar. The chilidogs were simple:
Wonder bun, steamed
Oscar-Meyer beef dog
Hormel no-beans chili
Melted Velveeta
French's mustard
Diced onions.

You'd think you could easily make this at home, but if you did, they never tasted the same.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
And that, gentle readers, is what a proper burrito looks like. ThumbsUp

Preach it, brother Steve. You will not see its like here in Ohio.

When do you move in, or are you here already?

Edit; Oh, and I love the fact that you have it with verde sauce. Another thing you will find hard, but not as hard, to find here is a real chile relleno, which I dearly love. I've found one place that makes OK ones. Usually they are just a gloppy, greasy pile of cheese with a chile and little bad breading.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’re here to see the house and to look after Jack for an evening so Kim and Jeff get a night off. We leave Sunday.

It looks now like we won’t be moving until the end of the year.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Breaded chili rellano”

(Shudder).

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
That picture of the SoCal burrito is much like those I used to get in the Mission District of San Francisco. But they were usually wrapped in foil to go.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I need to go back to the restaurant where that picture was taken. It’s the best in the county. I had to warn PJ it’s pretty beat up inside and conveniently located between two junkyards, but he didn’t seem to mind. As I recall he got a kind of sampler plate with dishes I haven’t found anywhere else.

I don’t think they slaughter chickens in the alley anymore but I heard they used to.

Mrs. Miller won’t have anything to do with the place. I’m gonna miss it.