well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adoptive Asset Forfeiture

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adoptive Asset Forfeiture
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Disgusting.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with the federal government holding the assets when there IS probable cause, if they return it promptly (without being sued) if it turns out that there is no criminal reason for the cash stash. This is the idea in the first place. Don't let the drug lord re-hide the cash. But the program has seemingly metastasized into a perverse shakedown process that fleeces the innocent, and especially the lower-income and not-well-lawyered-up innocent.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
“You can’t just take people’s stuff because you happen to find them with cash,” Vance said. “We still live in a country where people are innocent until they’re proven guilty.”

Would that that were true. Civil forfeiture turns that principle on its head. I'm not lawyer but I think that the abuse of this principle does not even meet the usual standards for civil liability. It's a clear abuse of power by those in authority.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a clear abuse of power by those in authority.

Yep

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Gets my blood boiling every time I read one of these stories as it undermines my and others faith in what this country is supposed to stand for - and would appear to directly violate the constitution.

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution provides that "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,

"Probable cause" is apparently defined as "if you have a bunch of money, we'll assume you stole it." Using that flimsy suggestion, one might recommend confiscating the assets of several members of Congress who seem to have a lot of wealth - and only a modest salary. Let them prove they obtained that wealth legally.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It’s a lot like police are with SWAT teams and military gear … if they have it, they want to use it, and so concoct reasons to justify the use.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have read of cases where cops have taken as little as 83 cents. And cases where the notice of the opportunity to get your money back was printed along with hundreds of other names in grey mouseprint in the back pages of a newspaper the victim was unlikely to see. Then you need money to hire a lawyer to get your money back.

I understand the concept of civil forfeiture goes back a few centuries to England trying to fight piracy. The asset was found guilty, not the person (a bizarre concept) and the crown could seize a boat and put a pirate out of business.

Police departments (in fact all government) run on money. If they can find a way to get more, they will.

There are firms that go around the country teaching police departments how to do this. The sales pitch is simple: there’s a lot of money to be gotten out there… here’s how to take it with impunity. After all, you’re just taking money from drug dealers and fraudsters, so it’s a noble thing. Plus you keep the money. Pretty cool, huh? Disgusting.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Down with civil forfeiture!
There are so many chances for Congress to change the law to stop this sort of thing, so many chances for the Judicial branch to rule this sort of thing unconstitutional (and justifiably so), yet it remains.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post