well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Tardigrades on the Moon

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/5641035366

06 August 2019, 11:04 AM
QuirtEvans
Tardigrades on the Moon
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...rash-1452728%3famp=1
06 August 2019, 11:27 AM
Nina
Weird. How will they rehydrate?
06 August 2019, 02:15 PM
Mikhailoh
Humans. Why the solar system can’t have nice things.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

06 August 2019, 04:12 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Weird. How will they rehydrate?

Well, who knows, maybe the lander crashed in an area rich in buried water ice and the crash released some of it ...
07 August 2019, 02:37 AM
Martin
I read a slightly different story here.
First difference: Tardigrades need time to enter their suspended state. A sudden crash on the moon with instantanteous exposition to the (non-) athmosphere while being in their "live"-state might kill them.
Second difference: Nobody expects them to rehydrate on the moon. To my knowledge scientists said, that, if the tardigrades were to be recovered after several months on the moon surface, they could rehydrate an go on living happily ever after.
So, sadly no tardigrade welcoming committee for the next astronauts on the moon....
07 August 2019, 11:07 AM
CHAS
You guys have not seen enough space movies.
The lower gravity of the moon will cause them to become as huge as the largest dinosaurs.
They will then eat any astronauts that land there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

08 August 2019, 12:14 PM
Nina
Good point.

BTW, this is the first I've ever heard of tardigrades. What are they supposed to do? Why did this dude want to put them on the moon? It strikes me as the ultimate lunar pollution.
08 August 2019, 03:16 PM
Axtremus
“Why did this dude want to put them on the moon?”

It’s part of his evil plan to amass wealth by first letting these tardigrades mutate on the Moon into fluffy poodle sized creatures then sell them off as cuddly purse pets with obscene profit margins.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

08 August 2019, 03:18 PM
wtg
"The Trouble with Tribbles Tardigrades"

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

08 August 2019, 03:56 PM
Mikhailoh
Ever seen a tardigrade? Tribbles they are not.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

08 August 2019, 03:59 PM
wtg
To be honest before this thread I had never heard of them, much less seen one. I was just riffing off of Ax's post.... WhoMe

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

08 August 2019, 04:15 PM
Piano*Dad
Don't you need a pretty good magnifier to get a reasonable view of one?
08 August 2019, 06:20 PM
Nina
According to some article I read my vast research, they can be seen with minimal magnification--the sort you might have with a K-12 microscope. Apparently they're popular in school demostrations/labs because they are so visible.
08 August 2019, 07:42 PM
Piano*Dad
And I thought that only professors gave out ... tardigrades.
08 August 2019, 10:12 PM
Steve Miller
*Groan*

Life is short. Play with your dog.