well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tardigrades on the Moon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tardigrades on the Moon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Weird. How will they rehydrate?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Humans. Why the solar system can’t have nice things.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Weird. How will they rehydrate?

Well, who knows, maybe the lander crashed in an area rich in buried water ice and the crash released some of it ...

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
I read a slightly different story here.
First difference: Tardigrades need time to enter their suspended state. A sudden crash on the moon with instantanteous exposition to the (non-) athmosphere while being in their "live"-state might kill them.
Second difference: Nobody expects them to rehydrate on the moon. To my knowledge scientists said, that, if the tardigrades were to be recovered after several months on the moon surface, they could rehydrate an go on living happily ever after.
So, sadly no tardigrade welcoming committee for the next astronauts on the moon....

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
You guys have not seen enough space movies.
The lower gravity of the moon will cause them to become as huge as the largest dinosaurs.
They will then eat any astronauts that land there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Good point.

BTW, this is the first I've ever heard of tardigrades. What are they supposed to do? Why did this dude want to put them on the moon? It strikes me as the ultimate lunar pollution.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
“Why did this dude want to put them on the moon?”

It’s part of his evil plan to amass wealth by first letting these tardigrades mutate on the Moon into fluffy poodle sized creatures then sell them off as cuddly purse pets with obscene profit margins.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
"The Trouble with Tribbles Tardigrades"

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ever seen a tardigrade? Tribbles they are not.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
To be honest before this thread I had never heard of them, much less seen one. I was just riffing off of Ax's post.... WhoMe

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Don't you need a pretty good magnifier to get a reasonable view of one?

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
According to some article I read my vast research, they can be seen with minimal magnification--the sort you might have with a K-12 microscope. Apparently they're popular in school demostrations/labs because they are so visible.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And I thought that only professors gave out ... tardigrades.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
*Groan*

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post