well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I bought myself a present

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought myself a present
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://maglite.com/products/m...-3-cell-d-flashlight

Technical grade flashlight.

I will defend myself from anyone who attacks me in my home.

I've wanted to buy it for a few months but $$ for a flashlight.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Nice! I was tempted but I backed out at the checkout page. $12.50 for shipping.

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I got it at Amazon for $50 and didn't pay shipping with my trial Prime membership.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My one word of advice: Don't let the batteries die in your Mag-Lite.

I have had a couple of them. They are very well made, but they are constructed to very small tolerances.

I had a 3-cell Mag-LIte that went unused for an extended time during which the batteries ran out and swelled. I tried everything I could think of to extract the old batteries from the flashlight including drilling into the batteries and trying to screw a lag bolt into them to pull out the batteries. Nothing would work and eventually, I threw that Mag-Lite away.

They are an excellent product, but not one to neglect and forget.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7433 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I love flashlights of any kind and maglites are the best!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35010 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Big Al!

Thanks, Steve!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nice, Daniel! I have a mini-Maglite or two. I've carried one in my purse out of habit for years even though I can use my phone flashlight these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I love flashlights of any kind

When I was a kid, I thought flashlights were the most magical thing ever. I have no idea why.

My dad asked me once if there was ever anything I wanted when I was a child that I didn't have and I immediately replied "a flashlight". I was in college at the time he posed the question.

Fast forward to college graduation. One of the graduation gifts I got:

Big Grin

Damn thing still works! I have a couple of LED lanterns to use during power outages, but I almost always use Dad's flashlight instead.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a kid, I thought flashlights were the most magical thing ever. I have no idea why.

I think most kids do - and adults too! I especially like the bright little LED ones and the ones mounted on a head band.

Flashlights are my go-to gifts for things like Secret Santa and people I don’t know well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35010 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Years ago Costco had two packs of Life Gear flashlights. Incredible beam and they weigh a ton, making it a great defensive weapon. If you hit someone over the head with you'd probably knock them out. It was great up in Door County where it gets very, very dark at night. We used to scan the woods around the house for creatures before taking the dogs out at night. We were all set to deal with any bears in the woods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Life-Gea...Lumens/dp/B0074Z9PHS

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice story, wtg!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

I think most kids do - and adults too! I especially like the bright little LED ones and the ones mounted on a head band.

Flashlights are my go-to gifts for things like Secret Santa and people I don’t know well.

Mostly because you can do this with them.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post