well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Evolving social media

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evolving social media
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I was reflecting on how the world has changed over the last several decades with respect to how we interact with other people. The only game in town used to be meeting people in person. And then....

The internet boomed, special interest forums (like PW) were created, and things really exploded with the introduction of FB, Twitter, reddit, etc. I'm not on the "biggies", and the only forum I regularly participate on is WTF. I know many of you are on these sites and/or have personal blogs.

I was wondering how your use of social media has evolved over time. Are you spending more time, or less, on the various platforms? Are you doing personal stuff, or professional/business? Do you think we're in a better or worse place than back in the 1980s when dinosaurs like me roamed the earth?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I still keep up my blog; I like it because it’s my personal journal. And it’s searchable, so I can find pictures and recipes easily, unlike FB and IG. I also use the blog for business, so it’s newsy and chatty about knitting.

I use IG for business mostly, because that’s where the knitters hang out.

I use FB for personal stuff, but I also have a page for my business. If I don’t know you in real life, I’d rather have you follow my business page if you’re looking for the knitting content!

I used to spend time on twitter, but it’s gotten stupid.

Whenever I write a blog post, I share it on my FB biz page (and then to my personal page if I want to), and share some of the pictures on Instagram.

Oh, I have an email newsletter, too. It’s for knitting news and special offers. I like that I can control my blog and newsletter as far as who gets to see it (if they subscribe to it), unlike relying on FB and IG who would like me to pay them to share my stuff. FB and IG have become relentless about marketing to me, and most of the stuff is stuff I don’t want.

I’m still amused by FB because our friends use it.

Anyone else? I know Mary Anna has a FB biz page, and I think an IG page too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I still have a Facebook account, because there’s a handful of people for whom that’s my only remaining contact. I probably post there every other month or so.
I always hated Twitter, even before the cretin bought it, so I’ve never had an account.
I do look at Reddit from time to time for the local sub groups which have the occasional interesting content.

so in total, I look at a couple of social platforms every day, but I don’t spend much time anymore.

I assume when I retire again, I’ll need to start an onlyfans account or the TikTok equivalent to start selling content to support myself, but until then I’m staying away from my WebCam.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Keeping up with family and piano tech pictures and stories on Facebook and Instagram.

Local FB groups and also use for selling or giving away stuff.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am only on FB. I don’t have a business page there, though I probably should. I do follow a few local FB groups of interest.

I am a tech dinosaur. Supposedly I should have multiple social accounts and be constantly posting piano videos and pics of exotic places where I have concerts. Oh, good, why don’t I just clutter up my living room with sound and lighting equipment. It sounds exhausting. But anyway I don’t have much to crow about at the moment.

The old ways of doing things are slipping away, and I don’t know if I have the ambition to get up to speed. I’ll be happy if I can just redesign my website.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post